• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

injectors bad?

Joey D

Reaction score
Not sure if this is possible with the 6.5's but it seems my truck is making oil now. I check the oil all the time and notice today it's higher on the stick than it should be. Do the injectors leak down and cause this?
It runs, starts and drives fine and even idles smooth.

Smell the oil. If it smells like fuel then it could be although if a nozzle was pouring out that much fuel I would think you'd have smoke and knocking. If coolant is getting in the oil will usually turn into peanut butter.

Could be the front seal on the IP.
I don't know if the ds4 ip's will do that but the ip's in the olds diesels would. In Bison's ds4 rebuilding thread he showed a drain on the bottom of the ip so that couldn't happen. If it is fuel ,the oil will get very thin and run off the dipstick not drip as usual.

I don't know if the ds4 ip's will do that but the ip's in the olds diesels would. In Bison's ds4 rebuilding thread he showed a drain on the bottom of the ip so that couldn't happen. If it is fuel ,the oil will get very thin and run off the dipstick not drip as usual.

I have no first hand experience but I know MGW has posted before about that possibility. I trust her advice.

Not sure if this is possible with the 6.5's but it seems my truck is making oil now. I check the oil all the time and notice today it's higher on the stick than it should be. Do the injectors leak down and cause this?
It runs, starts and drives fine and even idles smooth.

Dumb question; Are you checking the oil on a level surface every time?

Do you have slow oil pressure on start up? Perhaps the check valve in the oil filter is backfeeding a little oil into the pan is a positive thought.

I can't remember where I've heard this before but this has happened to some 6.5 guy before, I'm sure. I think it's more common with the Duramax guys iirc.

Get an oil analysis.

:thumbsup: Even if it comes back clean you will have found the problem.

As the engine is running fine it is not from a dead cylinder.

You should change the oil while waiting for the analysis.

I will do an oil change and send out some oil for the analysis.
I will see how much new injectors are are the dealer with my discount vs buying them from Heath.

Try Rock Auto dot com.....Seems to be the cheapest price, and there should be a discount code floating around here....Chances are with that combonation, you won't find them any cheaper.

You'll just have to wait a few days for shipping.....Unless you get a real deep 30% or + discount from the dealer?

Try Rock Auto dot com.....Seems to be the cheapest price, and there should be a discount code floating around here....Chances are with that combonation, you won't find them any cheaper.

You'll just have to wait a few days for shipping.....Unless you get a real deep 30% or + discount from the dealer?

I am not sure the percentage but will post up how much they cost.
I have been reading about even new injectors should be pop tested, should I bother?

I am not sure the percentage but will post up how much they cost.
I have been reading about even new injectors should be pop tested, should I bother?

It's the latest fad, why not? If you have the time of course. Its kind of a nice thought all 8 cylinders firing at the same psi... I wish mine were. Now every vibration at idle I think of the injectors... motor mounts... HB! (NEED FLUIDAMPR!).... who knows...

NIcest thing about pop test is it double checks function and spray patterns from a 3rd party...

I don't think I'm gonna make the year without buying a new set from rockauto and sending them to Barry to fine tune.... it's eating away at me... about 10 of us have used the Bosch new inj from there, no problems thus far.

Pop tested and set to close pop pressures gets you a smooth running engine. SOTP meter better!

You need to see what is up with the oil level rising before dumping money into this. The repair could take your injector budget away...

Pop tested and set to close pop pressures gets you a smooth running engine. SOTP meter better!

You need to see what is up with the oil level rising before dumping money into this. The repair could take your injector budget away...

I will do the oil analysis before buying anything.

I don't think I'm gonna make the year without buying a new set from rockauto and sending them to Barry to fine tune.... it's eating away at me... about 10 of us have used the Bosch new inj from there, no problems thus far.

Who is Barry? :confused:

Back