• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

injectors are in

iamdave0887

Here Comes Chaos.....
Reaction score
new injectors are in and the truck sounds better than ever. the exhaust has a slightly different tone to it, in a better way. it sounds more "crisp" for the lack of a better word. new duraterms are in as well. did a compression test on 6 of the 8 cylinders, as the tester i had had a right angle on the quick disconnect and couldn't get into the two glow plus holes on the two middle cylinders on the passenger side that have heat shields around them. compression numbers were all from 380 to 400 psi on the 6 cylinders tested.

some cylinders the glow plugs were physically discolored, almost burnt white-ish gray. i'm guessing that a sign of a bad spray pattern from an injector?

it wasn't too bad. i was amazed when all the glow plugs came out easily. the injectors came out with a little effort but nothing extreme. the turbo came off easily as well. i hadn't really soaked everything for an extended period but i did spray pb blaster on the bolts/nuts once or twice.

I'll be on mine shortly. They're sitting in the garage, but I've had a couple other things in front of them. Whose did you use?

I'll be on mine shortly. They're sitting in the garage, but I've had a couple other things in front of them. Whose did you use?

i bought Heath's(new standynes). i figured if anything were to go wrong, your average ebay seller would vanish off the face of the earth, while heath on the other hand would work everything out. just that alone was worth the extra money for Heath's injectors.

i've noticed that i can hear what sounds like the injectors opening and closing. the truck's got a new sound to it. added in i can hear almost what sounds like a "click click click" right in time with the diesel rattle, so i'm guessing its the injectors opening and closing. they are brand new afterall. it coudl also be what the truck should sound like and didn't because of worn injectors.

Ian form heath said to double dose the diesel additive(i use diesel kleen) and a quart of new, clean SAE30 oil in the tank to help lube the new injectors as well.

i bought Heath's(new standynes). i figured if anything were to go wrong, your average ebay seller would vanish off the face of the earth, while heath on the other hand would work everything out. just that alone was worth the extra money for Heath's injectors.

i've noticed that i can hear what sounds like the injectors opening and closing. the truck's got a new sound to it. added in i can hear almost what sounds like a "click click click" right in time with the diesel rattle, so i'm guessing its the injectors opening and closing. they are brand new afterall. it coudl also be what the truck should sound like and didn't because of worn injectors.

Ian form heath said to double dose the diesel additive(i use diesel kleen) and a quart of new, clean SAE30 oil in the tank to help lube the new injectors as well.
you must have bionic ears if you can hear the inj open and close 650 rpm min x 8 inj x 2[open/close] : 2[every other rpm] : 60=86 times per second.:smilewinkgrin: that percieved click is most likely a single inj or some thing else like the shield on the turbo viberating, lay your hand on it,see if it stops.

bionic ears. ):h good one. the turbo heat shield does make a noise if i put my hand(or something like the end of a flashlight perhaps if its hot) that noise stops. but the clicking is still there. i'm not too worried about it, more so curious. the truck runs smoother than it did before so maybe that noise was there and i just couldn't hear it? i know i've got an exhaust leak somewheres(wastegate arm for one as theres soot all around it and on the heat shield underside). its probably a slightly warped exhaust manifold from the heat, since theres no gaskets it wouldn't have to warp much to leak. anywhere i could get gaskets if i ever choose to put them in. the bolts for the exhaust manifolds look quite comfy where they are, but if i feel like disturbing them i'll want the gaskets available.

bionic ears. ):h good one. the turbo heat shield does make a noise if i put my hand(or something like the end of a flashlight perhaps if its hot) that noise stops. but the clicking is still there. i'm not too worried about it, more so curious. the truck runs smoother than it did before so maybe that noise was there and i just couldn't hear it? i know i've got an exhaust leak somewheres(wastegate arm for one as theres soot all around it and on the heat shield underside). its probably a slightly warped exhaust manifold from the heat, since theres no gaskets it wouldn't have to warp much to leak. anywhere i could get gaskets if i ever choose to put them in. the bolts for the exhaust manifolds look quite comfy where they are, but if i feel like disturbing them i'll want the gaskets available.

You have an exhaust leak at the turbo housing were the exhaust hooks to it. I spent a year tracking the dang thing down before I found it. Drove me crazy, sounds like a clicking noise. re fit your down pipe and see if it doesn't clear up.

good choice!

Back