• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Injectors....again and again

SFC Cobb

Jesus Freak
Reaction score
I have had a lot of black smoke under hard acceleration which is not unusual particularly. But the black smoke start coming under a light acceleration. It kept getting worse and then I heard a knocking noise. Very loud. I took the Edge off and it didn't change anything. I couldn't accelerate and thought I might not get home.

I dumped the computer by disconnecting the battery and it seemed to reduced the knock some but there is a horendous amount of black and white or grey smoke.

It looks like injectors again. With all the injectors I have put in this truck I sure get disgusted with more money to be spent.

Have you checked your intercooler boots? If one of them loosing pressure or popping off, it'll make it dump smoke like its going outta style and you'll lose a ton of power. You'd be dumping boost and wouldnt be able to get very far, very fast. Anyways, its worth a try before you assume its injectors.

I don't know where the intercooler boots are. I replace the tube between the intake tube and the silencer because it was cracked and thought it might be the problem.

Is there an engine drawing somewhere that shows the intercooler and the tubes?

They're the silver tubes that run into your intercooler into your turbo. They usually have a blue or black rubber type fitting connecting them to the actual intercooler. Find your turbo, then follow the silver tubes to the front of the cooling stack. I'll see if I have a picture.

anyone with EFI live near you that can log the balance rates for you...I'd be real interested to see them...that knock and white fogging sound familiar...

They're the silver tubes that run into your intercooler into your turbo. They usually have a blue or black rubber type fitting connecting them to the actual intercooler. Find your turbo, then follow the silver tubes to the front of the cooling stack. I'll see if I have a picture.

I had a brain fart. Lately I have been real bad about not remembering things. I know exactly which tubes you are talking about. Last night I could not visualize them at all.

Thanks. Picts not needed.

LB7's have the issue...I believe you stated you have a Vin code 2 LLY truck so you should be safe...

GM recognizes the problem(sort of) so they extended our injector warranties to 7 yr. 200,000 mi. (whichever comes first)

not much help for us guys with early 01's and 02's now creeping up on the 03 guys...only a matter of time before all the LB7 guys will be on their own

Or if you are like me and have a high milage truck, all miles were put on by me. I will have to look at that bill square in the face and make a decision whether or not to do it.....more and likely I will as I do not have any desire to buy a new truck as this one is not quite paid for

Should be a warranty item, I have a hard time keeping up with all the new service bulletin's over here. I am sure someone here knows.

Numbers 1, 3, and 7 bit the dusty. I have to say that that really cut me a very good deal based on the passed history and that the last 3 or 4 injectors or sets were replaced by that dealer. They really did give some deep discounts and thank God they did. They replaced all 8 injectors for just over $2500 tax and all. God tryly bless me time. I know that a full set of 8 inj. is $4800 normally. Praise God for HIS goodness and mercy.

well dam is it alot of money 2 replace
Tiny, the harness issue is kinda minor and was real common (It got me on my LLY). If you bought your truck used, and with over 50k miles it's probably been done already. It's just a wire rub through problem and easily fixed. Another LLY injector issue was the #s 2 and 7 connectors were faulty. That's another easy fix. I know both were written up in DIY threads over at DP. Not sure if we have them here but they would be easy to get. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it...

Sarge, glad it worked out for you!:thumbsup:

Tiny, the harness issue is kinda minor and was real common (It got me on my LLY). If you bought your truck used, and with over 50k miles it's probably been done already. It's just a wire rub through problem and easily fixed. Another LLY injector issue was the #s 2 and 7 connectors were faulty. That's another easy fix. I know both were written up in DIY threads over at DP. Not sure if we have them here but they would be easy to get. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it...

Sarge, glad it worked out for you!:thumbsup:

I knew an LLY boy would chime in. Thanks BTfarm

Back