• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Injectors - 6.2 vs 6.5

mangus580

Reaction score
Ok, here is the deal. I just picked up a 93 donor truck that has the 6.2 in it. I will be using the engine in my 95 'Project Burb'. I am debating the idea of keeping the 6.2 injectors in it, since it runs great, and that would let me use the injectors from the bad engine (have maybe 15k on them) for my wife's 99 which really needs a new set.

Any thoughts? Will I be dissapointed with this approach? (I am pretty sure my brother did the exact same thing with his... )

ask your brother how it worked out

Well, based on that... I have driven his Burb... and its hard to compare to my wifes. The gear ratio difference makes them apples and oranges IMO. Not to mention the 4" exhaust and turbo master on hers :)

I just figured there has got to be a few here with a good opinion on the topic.

They should work fine, they will be the short bodies also, maybe not the best choice if you are going for performance numbers, but they will work out fine on a Daily Driver.

As long as they are short injs. Long ones "may" hit the turbo manifold. I'm still not even sure short ones will clear it. I get differing opinions . won't know for sure till I try it I guess. I "think" the newer 6.2s had the injectors not agnled so that matters. Again info I have found it sketchy.

The late 6.2's are the same basically as the 6.5 (as long as things have not been swapped)

GM changed most parts over to a standard item after the 6.5 came out. The injector style, cylinder heads ect.

You should be able to swap all those parts right over.

As far as performance goes you likely will not see any difference.

Once you go back into the older 6.2 engines things were different.

I believe that 91 was the turning point where the injector angle in the heads changed and the switch to the shorter injector happened too.

This was the same tume frame that the 6.2 went to the one piece rear main seal.

The later 6.2 blocks with the one piece seal were basically a 6.5 with a slightly smaller bore. 101mm vs 103mm

Many early 6.2's were built using the 599 casting.

As long as your injectors are the same overall length your set.

The pop pressure on the 6.5 and the 6.2 are very close unless you are into the DS4 injected stuff.

Keep us posted.

Missy

Thanks for the thoughts...

Missy, much of what you say is why I finally decided I would use a 6.2 - from this year. One of my goals was to not mess around with turbo oil plumbing and a 2 piece rear main.

You mention the pop pressure differences... This engine will be for a 95 repower, so it will have a DS4 injection pump on it. I should still be ok?

So far the plan is, the 95 will be my daily driver, and might get the bulk of the 'around town' miles as a family. Mostly since I drive as we do things as a family anyway :) Also we figure it smart to keep the miles off the newer/nicer Suburban. Her 99 will be used mostly by her when she goes places without me. I will probably also take it when I need to do 'grunt work' of towing a heavy trailer too, due to the gearing, and minor performance mods I have already done to it.

Now, dont get me wrong... I am sure the 95 will pull something heavy from time... but it will most likely be local 30 mile tops type things.

I suppose all else fails... I currently need to buy a set of injectors... so if I try the 6.2 ones and dont like them, I am still in the same position :)

I think I will go ahead with this plan and try it. This will get the 'new' injectors I have wanted for hers for so long now (financial reasons have prevented it), and keep me with something decent in my build for now.

Back