• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Injector Return Hoses: Looking for the Best.

Will, I was considering running up to boise to look at a pickup, and figured I would look into some of the Mercedes return line.

How do I go about ordering it? is it the same size for any Mercedes diesel car built from the 80s to the 90s? Does it come bulk, or pre-cut, and I would need to order two sets to have enough?

I assume one uses clamps with the Mercedes line?

Is it just a fancy grade of rubber (looks similar to the OEM GM) or is it sheathed in fabric like the aftermarket clampless?

Sorry for all the questions, never been to a Benz dealer before and I imagine I am not their type of clientele, so I want to roughly know what I need to ask for before wandering in.... :)

1980's 5 or 6 cylinder Idi Diesel engines. You can tell them it's for an om603 engine.It is push on only, no clamps. It is a cloth covered looking line. By the foot.

Might b a good idea to ask them if it's in stock. I've never heard of them not stocking it, but ya never know.
Just walk in the front door of dealership and ask receptionist where parts department is.

Mercedes dealership is very different from most other dealerships. They continue to service 50 year old vehicles in there. Because of that they stock and sell parts for them.

I'm currently running tygon on mine, wanted to see how long it would hold up. About 20,000 miles so far, but after 1 week you can't re-use it. It gets hard fast and is one time use only.

Just spent some time on this as follows:

3.2mm Cloth Covered Hose (1/8") does not require clamps.

MBZ part number 605 078 05 81

There are generic offerings out there and they seem to share the MBZ part number, the MBZ version is grey in colour with what looks to be a yellow stripe. Generic offerings can be black and would seem to have a lower temperature rating. Contitech offers both black and grey stripe and the cheaper black version has a lower temp rating. I also believe that the Contitech is in fact supplier to MBZ and is a more cost effective purchase. Several versions can be had by the length from pelicanparts.com search under say a 1986 300SDL (W126) although they pretty much used the same over many years versions.

Note in my search I found complaints regarding the black variety not holding up as well as the more expensive grey variety hose.

Cheers
Nobby

There is way more to it than that. The cetane rating can run from 35-70 ~yup as much as double.

The btu range can be 110,00 to 145,000 a huge difference in power per gallon.

The carbon count I've seen in diesel has been plus or minus 20 carbon per chain.

Flashpoint difference of 15 degrees is not unusual.

It's all over the place. That's why the difference in power & mileage. Also why some people will get away with fuel line in one part of the country but not others.

I'm sure several guys out there travel multiple states across the country can tell they get better fuel some places than others. Most people assume it's just old fuel or has a bit of water in it. Most of the time it's the actual make up of the fuel, but without testing it one would never know.

That's why I say when getting fuel line, never look at the price. Just buy the highest rated and move on.
Do NOT blame the biodiesel for the huge variations. Blame the oil refineries for 1) Using crap base stock (crude), specifically the shit they're digging out of the ground up in Alberta and calling "crude". It's NOT. It's bitumen and has about as much in common to real crude oil (West Texas, Pennsylvania or Middle Eastern) as a skunk does to a prime Angus beef. What is being dug out of the ground and sent to the refineries in the midwest and Texas Gulf to be cracked is extremely immature (hence the geologic term 'bitumen' - such as used with the "soft" or "brown" coal being strip mined in Wyoming, it is bituminous coal that is still 'young', only about 65 million years old and hasn't undergone another 300 million years of compression and heat from folding and burial due to Continental Collisions like the "hard" or "rock" coal mined in Appalachia has - this is also true of crude oils. Those crudes that have undergone multiple episodes of heat and compression from the folding of the rock strata they are contained in due to multiple Continental Collisions or thrust intrusion events have had most of the impurities driven out (sulfur, arsenic and heavy metals) and the long carbon chains are much more uniform in length and shorter than those found in the bitumen being dug out in Alberta, which is landlocked and has only experienced the thrust intrusion that produced the Canadian and US Rocky mountain chain 65M years ago, since the area was the northern end of a shallow inland sea 600 million years ago that deposited the zooplankton and phytoplankton whose fatty acids create crude oil. To get an idea of the "crude" being produced up there and sent to the refineries down here take two gallons of road asphalt, add a shovelful of fine ground silica, a shovelful of sand, a shovelful of pea gravel and a shovelful of powdered clay now mix thos thoroughly until it has the consistancy of very thick, stiff chunky peanut butter. Now, in order to ship this 5 gallons of paste, subject it to 3 gallons of high pressure steam for every gallon of bitumen to disolve the clay and get the pea gravel and sand to drop out. This leaves the asphalt full of fine silica, still too stiff to pipe anywhere. In order to transport this sludge, add to your three gallon mix of asphalt and silica a gallon witch's brew of Benzene, Toluene and Xylene - some of the most poisonous and carcinogenic substances known - to thin the bitumen, heat it to 150°F and pressurize it to 1100psi in order to pump it. This is the quick and dirty simple layman's explanation of the geology, (one of my two Majors in college, along with Minors in Physics and Chemistry) and chemistry of the crap we have to put in our tanks.

2) Is the fact that Big Oil are cheap bastards. The refineries that crack "heavy crude" in the midwest (southern Illinois, Chicago area, Michigan, Oklahoma and the Texas Gulf Coast) can't efficiently crack the dilbit (diluted bitumen) piped to them and Big Oil just won't spend the money to make the neccessary upgrades (hotter temps and bigger cracking towers) to the refineries to effectively crack the dilbit. So, what we wind up with is crappy unleaded gasoline base stock and really crappy diesel base stock with all kinds of long-chain (22+) carbon molecules in the mix instead of a huge majority of 18 (Cetane) and 19 carbon chains like we had in the "good old days" of refined West Texas Sweet Light Crude.

Biodiesel, if properly manufactured, is high in Cetane, which improves the Cetane rating of the crap diesel being cracked and biodiesel adds lubricity to the ULSD that was lost when the sulfur was removed during refining. No sulfur in fuel is a good thing, unless you like sulphuric acid showers whenever it rains.

So, blame the crap feedstock and cost-cutting of Big Oil on our shitty diesel fuel, not the biodiesel added to it. Our motors would love to run on properly made B100. Mine started easier, burned cleaner and got almost 2 mpg better than fossil diesel when I was running it on my homemade B100 during the summer back when diesel was over $4 and pushing $5 a gallon. In the winter I was running a 50/50 mix with a double dose of DieselServices anti-gel in it with no problems, even in below zero weather.

See, @Will L. , you're not the only one who can leave long, fairly technical answers! LOL!

Last edited:
Contitech was Goodyear, until Goodyear sold off their belt and hoses divisions. We had a Goodyear belt and hose plant here in Lincoln (well, the building is still here, just with half the employees and at 1/3 less wages per hour now as Contitech) before Goodyear moved half of the hose production to Mexico back in the late 90's, then sold off the division to Contitech about 15 years ago.

We made/make radiator hoses and cogged drive belts here. The exact same blank hose that came off a mold and was stenciled with a Goodyear emblem and P/N would also be a Gates hose, a NAPA hose or an OEM GM or Ford hose out of our plant. I had a friend who used to pull hose at the plant, then bid and got a job stenciling hoses. After he did X amount of Goodyear hoses, he would change the stencil and out of the same bin the same blank radiator hoses would become NAPA (or GM or Ford, etc) until that order was filled.

Harley Davidson drive belts were made here, too.

As a side note, all of Harley's chrome plating work is done here in Lincoln at Lincoln Industries, as well as all of Walker exhaust's chrome work, in fact Walker has an in-plant exhaust manufacturing operation so "shipping" is from one part of the plant to another. They also have a stand-alone exhaust plant for OEM and aftermarket exhaust parts for various auto manufacturers in Seward, NE a few miles west of Lincoln.

Last edited:
@Husker6.5
Anybody gets their feelings hurt by long posts can search “5 word thread” haha

I definitely agree the quality of the crude has a huge part in it. Better crude is better for many reasons. How it’s formed we disagree, that chapter later.

On the bio, it isn’t the biofuel itself that has the issue. It the ethanol or methanol that is used in it promotes absorbing water into suspension thats the issue. If everything is kept pure-it’s way better fuel. What about b100? How often was bugs in fuel a problem in the 1970’s?

All the water gets extracted after frac during refining btw because it wont stay emulsified at 90 psi and 500f and above. Most separate it at 195f and no maintained pressure.

The lubricity advances stop by 10% bio in even the most extreme cases. And it takes how much water by volume to create more damage than the added lube helps?

My opinion good or bad-
DIY bio- yup. A company that produces, trucks, AND retails it-yup. But as soon as a 2nd company is involved- NOPE! the blame game and sales tactics allow for too high a risk. When a consumer can prove 1 company is liable- they control it correctly. Thats why I say for some places it’s a great thing, for others it’s horrible.

Ok, it’s later.
As to the biogenic vs abiogenic as to where we get petroleum, and formation of it... (as if not debated a many times over already) I start a different approach:

Water is hydrogen and oxygen & Found in animals. We don't assume millions of dinosaurs decayed and gave us water found underground.
Coal I agree could very well be old forests. Doesn’t have to be but a logical argument.

Why hydrogen and carbon forming oils came from big lizards is not the side I take. I used to because it was taught to me in school. Then I worked in the industry, and learned a lot more about it. The guy who Put forth the concept of it died believing in alchemy as a viable supply of gold and silver btw. Haha

Just north of 100 elements that make up everything. Once combined then reprocessed, that makes it synthesized-right? How come all fuels at the gas pump aren’t synthetic? Run it through the same plant twice and it is. Did it go through the first step as an animal? Trim your finger and tow nails and do the lab work on them and scope it, I know you know how. Now process it in a pyrolysis and it is synthetic- hmm.

How come the sulfur is so high? That is where this issue comes to light. ULSD, right? How much sulfur would dinosaurs have to eat. Seriously, if you investigate anything- figure this out.
Also no one can begin to answer issues in ALL petroleum like the poisons present that would have killed all the life that supposedly lived, grew huge in size and numbers, then died making a pool of oil in a rock. Yet not one oil well anywhere doesn’t have them.

What about The massive difference in chemical make up from one oil well to another? Texas had the good dinosaurs and not Canada I suppose.

Real simple. The expert of the time thought “what could have dissolved and created this puddle”. He came up with the biggest thing he could think of that was all the rage at the time- dinosaur. That was his hobby. That is how he spent his money- buying dino bones. Since he understood the best method of extraction and processing- all the big companies hired him- anyone that disagreed at the time couldn’t get paid.

Nowadays more people can disagree without loosing income over it and will. But most don’t care enough about it to rock the boat. Most reading this here in this forum learned in school dino=oil and believe it because- why not and who cares! They just want fuel at a cheap price and have it not ruin their car. Most in oil/fuel industry just want a good paycheck with good benefits and a cold beer at 5:01.

How come since we have even found dinosaurs with good dna and the non petrified blood vessels, there is no crude oil ever found with the bones?

Ever do the mass math: How many dinosaurs over 100 lbs lived according to the experts in that field?
What is that collective mass? Thats is a hard way to do it and never gets completed- so that is how it is brought up in school (imo).
Work it backwards: How much oil have we consumed so far? Just 1970-today. What’s the mass? What % of dinosaurs turns into liquid crude and what% gasses? Assume 100% conversion just to be nice. Were there ever enough dinosaurs? Suddenly need all the fish in the ocean too. Never mind the fish that ate other fish and t-rex eating his share.
Tectonic plate subduction. Did we loose any oil?
Major earthquake that ended the massive oil fields in Northern Nevada and Northern Utah. Most the world never heard of it. Go to Eagle Valley and ask, everyone of them can explain it in finite detail. Media squash.

“We” as society cant go back on “fossil fuels” as a ““science””. Even if we prove the Earth is not flat, some folks just won’t let go.

Why did Hawaii ban fracking in 2013. No billions of years worth of dinosaurs. But many companies started fracking there- hmm. True no major oil supply there. But look how it is formed and the natural gas they were (no longer are) extracting there. My great uncle owned land that he was leasing to the gas company where one of the larger wells was on. Dinosaurs do not equal oil.

I never once mentioned dinosaurs, that is total bullshit and you know it, @Will L. Your complaint about Biodiesel is not with the biodiesel itself, but with the contaminants left in it from incomplete post-reaction cleaning of the product or improper titration to determine the amount of methanol (too much) used in the the process to remove the esters in the oilstock - again problems encountered primarily with cost-cutting/lax QC in commercial production and not with smaller batches - much like commercial crap beer vs. local brewery produced beer.

The processes that created oil and coal are scientifically sound and proven over time, your "objections" are laughable and your "examples" of differences between the crudes of West Texas and Alberta totally ignore the sciences of geology, chemistry and paleobiology. There was lots of sulfur in the biosystem when these strata were being deposited, but you totally ignore the fact that the processes that form oil and coal also concentrate highly dispersed rarer elements. It is part of the process that these fossil fuels are always found associated with sedimentary rock stratas - limestones, sandstones, shales and siltstones and their occurrences where those depositions have experienced the incredible pressures over time that folded and compressed those strata. Go talk to a Petroleum Geologist some time about how they look at the anticlines and synclines of the strata to find the "domes" that they drill into to tap the crude that has migrated into the confined layers of sandstone - and yes, there is often variations in the specific properties of different fields (domes) withing the same geologic age strata. I am not going to teach you eight years' worth of undergraduate and graduate level coursework in my fields of study because I do not possess the time and inclination to so here, and you apparently lack the capacity.

Back