• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Injection pump timing tool question

I guess the all need it. I have heard/read the some people can do it without. I haven't tried though

IP wants to "walk" back to it's original spot due to tension if injector lines, can be moved without the tool but very difficult to maintain position while retorquing hold down nuts, DO NOT TURN IP BY PUTTING PRESSURE ON SHUT OFF SOLENOID,THEY BREAK EASILY also without proper tools lower lock nuts difficult to access/loosen

You can make a tool to turn the pump if you are so inclined. I think Turbine doc has made his own if I remember correctly. The tool makes the job much easier. :eek:
The hardest part is getting the nuts loose with everything in the way. The dual stat housing makes it even more difficult.

I made my own w/ a metal bar, 2 - 3/8" holes and 3/8 bolts. When I had to replace my IP at my in-laws this past Thanksgiving I had to do it w/out it. I tightened the bottom 2 nuts by hand then 1 full turn w/ the wrench. Then tightend the top and checked tdc offset. I had to shift to the passenger side so I used a 14" 3/8 socket extension very carefully not touching the shut off solinoid. Remember, it may look like it moved less than a hair. That hair move maybe too much. I had to also shift back toward the driver side. I used the same 14" 3/8 ext. This time I put the square end on the side of the top adjustment hole of the IP and hit it w/ a rubber mallot toward the driver side (w/ the top nut slightly loose but still tight) then tightened the top nut and rechecked tdco.

You don't need the tool. Just take two 3/8 bolts and stick them on the holes on the pump then use a prybar between them. works just like the tool.

Tis is the snap on tool that it just has the two studs, it does noting to get to the lower nuts. it is about 34 bucks to my place, $29. to grandmothers in Idaho.

Tis is the snap on tool that it just has the two studs, it does noting to get to the lower nuts. it is about 34 bucks to my place, $29. to grandmothers in Idaho.

You mean this one? If so, how much to get it to my house? This crazy thing costs $130!

otc-6083.gif

Got mine on ebay too. Got the kent moore originals but I bought them after the fact. I adjusted mine with method listed above. As far as the wrench for the IP you can buy a craftsman club(sin to use snap on) double box 15mm and re-adjust via Mr. Hot Wrench.

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 38
Got mine on ebay too. Got the kent moore originals but I bought them after the fact. I adjusted mine with method listed above. As far as the wrench for the IP you can buy a craftsman club(sin to use snap on) double box 15mm and re-adjust via Mr. Hot Wrench.

Yes my Snap-on wasn't bent quite rite, heated to tweak it, didn't cool it rite and hosed up the temper, broke it & got a short wrench out of it, & why I had to buy a 2nd one on ebay, even the KM/snap on/OTC isn't 100% easy to use on a dual stat truck.

OTC-6087- GM Injection Pump Wrench Set
SKU: OTC-6087
Use to loosen or tighten injection pump retaining bolts whenever pump timing adjustment or pump service is required. Services 1996–1999 GM full-size 2- and 4-wheel drive trucks, vans, and Suburbans with 6.5L diesel engine.
Two specially bent wrenches are needed, due to the location of the throttle, cruise control, T.V. cable bracket, cooling system crossover pipe and bracket, and the thermostat housing on vans and pickups.
Wrenches are 15 mm, 12-point, double box-end type.

Price: $97.66
Weight: 2.00

Attachments

• OTC-6087lg.jpg
    OTC-6087lg.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 118
well, someone else bid once and got it, no big deal, it was more than i wanted to give.

Now I need more tools: The "adjusting bar" and the wrench set.

Thanks for posting everyone!

I stopped by the hardware store on the way home from work and bought a piece of 1/4 x 1 flat bar and a long 3/8 bolt to cut up. When I get off my lazy duff, I'll be making my own IP timing wrench for about eight bucks. It won't be pretty, and it won't be plated, but I think it'll work. $135 is crazy.

I already bought the long, goofy-looking 15mm wrenches. The round one in the set seems to be better than the flat one, but I haven't had to use it with the crossover installed.

Back