• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Injection Pump Failure Again

MAGNUM SERVICES

Intelligence Guided By Experience
Reaction score
My electronic IP has failed again! I know because the last time it did the Service THROTTLE Soon light came on and while the truck stayed running, it had no response from the throttle pedal! When the PMD failed this past February, the Service ENGINE Soon light came on and it would not start. I have remote mounted the PMD on a cooler, under the front bumper, with a New PMD and six foot cable from PMD Cables so I know it is not the PMD. It has been running fine until today. I am going broke doing this as in ten years this will be the fourth pump I have replaced and according to the Warranty info I could find it had three replaced under warranty from the first owner. That is seven pumps in fourteen years. I can't afford to do this any longer but can't afford a replacement truck either. The IP's that I have replaced have been Rebuilt Units from Diesel Injection Service in Cincinnati,Oh. My Truck is a 1996 GMC Sierra 2500 4X4 8600 GVW Extended Cab 8 Ft. bed with the 4L80E Auto Trans.! It has 145,000 miles according to the Odometer. Would I be better off Replacing the DS4 Electronic with a DB4 Mechanical or buying a NEW, not rebuilt pump? Any and all reply's will be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Keith

You could DB2/4 it. You will need a trans controller.
We are hopfully going to put together a kit for the controller for the OBDII trucks.
We've done 4 so far, but it is alot of wiring work to do. We want to offer a plug and play kit. It would be atleast 6 months to the prototype stage.

You could DB2/4 it. You will need a trans controller.
We are hopfully going to put together a kit for the controller for the OBDII trucks.
We've done 4 so far, but it is alot of wiring work to do. We want to offer a plug and play kit. It would be atleast 6 months to the prototype stage.

:thumbsup: 6.5 will keep alive and last with all those improvements...

Sometimes changing an IP can solve or temporarily relieve another problem, so best to figure out exactly what is happening. DB2s fail too.

In your case if it is dead and you do the below things, I would question the quality of the work the shop does, or find the problem you still have. Are injectors original? If injectors have been there since first failed IP, I might remove the injectors and have them checked out.

Things required to keep the IP healty
1. Lubrication, a good lubricant, several off the shelf additives are terrible lubricity additives, and simple quart of TCW3 2 stroke oil will beat most of them with proper amount of lubrication. Must be used frequently, like every tank.

2. Check lift pump operation frequently. In cab fuel pressure gauge is ideal, however otherwise check the lift pump pressure at least once a month. Any signs of hiccups under load check fuel pressure when actually under load, because it could be insuffiicient and causing vacuum. Pressure tests are required, not just seeing flow. Low pressure could be weak LP, dirty filter, or snotty tank sock.

3. Drain off some fuel each month to remove water and contaminants from the filter manager. Always do this prior to filter change as well. Change filter every 6 months or 8k miles, whichever comes first.

4. Make sure it is timed correctly, with correct TDCO relearn procedure every time it is changed or PCM or CPS is replaced.

May of 09' New Tank,New Fuel lines from tank,New AC Delco LP for a 93-9 psi at gauge under hood with key on,New Fuel Cap, 7 psi with engine running, 1 Qt. of Power Service Cetane boost at every fill up, I ran Power Service Cetane Boost in every Big Rig I have driven over a Thirteen year period with no Gelling or failures that is why I run it in my Pick Up Truck! Feb of 10' New Fuel Filter,New Air Filter,New Cooler with New Pmd under front bumper, New six ft. Cable for PMD with an extra ground wire grounding to the Cooler and the IP. Will check codes today but with the Service THROTTLE Soon light and no throttle response from the Throttle Pedal tells me it is the IP AGAIN! Rebuilt pumps from Diesel Injection in Cincinnati, Oh. sell for around $1200.00 with exchange. I'm thinking a NEW Pump as theses rebuilt pumps just don't seem to last.

Service THROTTLE Soon light and no throttle response from the Throttle Pedal tells me it is more likely APP sensor then IP..

APP = Accelerator Pedal Position..
Look your accelerator pedal, there is small potentiometer with 9 wires.. that is it

Generally though the APP will pop codes and the SES light, so it should tell you if the APP isnt reporting. 2 out of 3 of the APP sensors are needed to run fully functional.

Dont waste your cash on lots of Power Service, the Stanadyne IPs need better lubricity additive. So although you can use the PS for the cetane boost, also add the 2-stroke oil or a quart of Non Detergent SAE30.

$1200 for a rebuilt IP is a bit high, the local Stanadyne shop here is also about $1100, but you can purchase them online for $500.

OK! Friend with Snap On Scanner is away so I will have to wait until Monday for codes to be scanned. Truck started this morning, Service THROTTLE Soon light was off, drove about five mile staying under 45 MPH the whole time using the Accelerator pedal, Accelerator pedal responded as normal, set cruise at 30 mph and used Cruise Accelerate switch to get up to 60 mph and ran problem free so drove back home and parked it. Pulled the Accelerator pedal assembly off and tried to open up the Electronic unit that bolts to the side but it would not separate! Anybody ever open one up before? I'm thinking possible dirt contamination as I do Lawn Care and Snow Removal and my feet are always dirty plus this is the original unit.

You should just ohm the sensors out, attached is the pinout.

Test the resistance across the pins that go to each of the 3 sensors. You should have between 2 and 4 Kohms across the pins of the sensors. Also you can make sure you have the 5V across the pins coming from the PCM into the sensors with the ign ON, just leave the APP unplugged and probe the harness.

The APPs are all the same, but the PCM is an OBD1 so just use the APP info below.

Attachments

• PCM-interface(1).jpg
    PCM-interface(1).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 18
I just realized you havent checked codes yet, so you might not want to turn the IGN on without the APP plugged in, because it will code for that and might make it harder to figure out what caused the issue before.

I won't turn the key on with anything disconnected! As you stated, don't want to add another code until this problem is read, hopefully Monday afternoon! Thanks, Keith

Back