• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Info needed, upgrading 2011 Sierra SLT w/Bose to FACTORY Nav Radio

83GMCK2500

Reaction score
Howdy guys, my dad is finally driving his 2011 GMC Sierra SLT 3500HD DRW. (When he started a month ago, it had about 1,100 mi on it...it's lived a sheltered life. ;)) It has the XM/Bose radio and the rear view camera, NO rear seat entertainment. He wants the factory nav radio, I know it will need a VIN programmed and that GM still offers this as an accessory as well as several places online offer new radios with VINs programmed. I would like to know how the Maps are stored/accessed. Are they on a DVD that has to remain in the radio, or are they stored on the radio? I have read something about a 2012+ HDD Nav Radio...can we put one of those in? I presume with the latter that the info is stored in the radio itself. How are the maps updated? New DVD? Subscription? Pay GM out the nose?

I'm clueless about the audio systems Devin. Gotta be some audio guru forums out there somewhere... :dunno:

The 2011 super duty I had with the Denso two knob nav unit was hard drive based. You could play CDs and DVDs in it and the nav still worked.

IIRC GM used a Denso nav radio in 2011 virtually the same as Ford (could be completely wrong though).

I have no clue who makes the new SD card nav units.

All of my reading indicates that GM released the upgraded HDD style radio in 2012 for the GMT-900s, 2007.5-2011 require the Nav DVD. I may have found a solution, will keep this thread updated as I find more out. This is, unfortunately, not a plug-and-play swap as GM changed the connector on the back of the radios. :wtf:

the plugs are very different on 12' trucks with factory nav,theres a guy in cali on ebay that for $1600-$1800 has the nav and wiring,,but the cheaper way is to use a nav from a 2007.5-2010 truck,it will need a GPS antenna and a ''10.3'' nav disc

Back