• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Infamous hard upper rad hose.

Palmer6842

Reaction score
Hey guys.

177000 km on the truck, it had a bully dog on it and I switched it over to EFI Live and hardly take it off ECO also truck is deleted but the EGR is still on.

The truck has a hard upper rad hose after coming off the highway, I can squeeze it a little but not all the way. And I know this is somewhat okay as coolant systems build pressure, no white smoke coming out of exhaust, no coolant coming out of over flow tank, coolant level always up and no warning light, truck runs at 80 degrees C never over heats. As far as I can tell there is anything wrong. A friend of mine had a hard upper rad hose and some power loss. Got head gaskets done exc and now his hose is better and he has his power back.

He’s convinced it’s either my EGR witch I’m deleting soon to diagnose or head gaskets. I just cant wrap my head around it as the only “symptom” I have is a hard hose and nothing else.

Anyone else have this issue? Had broken EGR? Or bad head gasket? Fixed one or the the other and solved the issue.

Thanks!

Attachments

• E067754B-76EC-4E42-BE5B-D33C08E92D49.jpeg
    E067754B-76EC-4E42-BE5B-D33C08E92D49.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 5
I`m not at all familiar with the Duramax, only that I have not heard much about overheating or coolant issues with them. Maybe someone that knows might jump in and explain it.

I've seen a few egr coolers leak on trucks when they are disabled by the tune but still hooked up. Sometimes you can see the leak when you take it apart. The soot will be gooey to the touch. But that was mostly on the early duramax's

Gm had a TSB for headgaskets on the early LML's. It was a very common issue. The best way to confirm is pull the glow plugs and put shop air into the cylinders one at a time and look for bubbles in the coolant reservoir. Make sure the valves are closed so the cylinder holds pressure. I usually pressurize each cylinder for 10 to 15 minutes. Alot easier that pulling the EGR cooler. You can delete that when the heads are off.

I've seen a few egr coolers leak on trucks when they are disabled by the tune but still hooked up. Sometimes you can see the leak when you take it apart. The soot will be gooey to the touch. But that was mostly on the early duramax's

Gm had a TSB for headgaskets on the early LML's. It was a very common issue. The best way to confirm is pull the glow plugs and put shop air into the cylinders one at a time and look for bubbles in the coolant reservoir. Make sure the valves are closed so the cylinder holds pressure. I usually pressurize each cylinder for 10 to 15 minutes. Alot easier that pulling the EGR cooler. You can delete that when the heads are off.
Is that TSB like a factory recall or, is that at the owners expense ?
I guess I never figured out if a TSB is issued then it should be a dealer fix item at no cost to the customer. But, whut does I know ? LOLOLOL

A recall has to do with a safety issue. A TSB is just a bulletin thats issued to let technicians know of a common failure, or and update to fix and issue. Although I've see TSB's that list recalls on parts that are not and safety issue before. Depending on what the TSB is about the part being replaced may be under factory warranty so it's free to the customer. If your out of factory warranty then the customer pays. A deleted truck voids any warranty so nothing is covered.

Well, I'm pretty sure its the head gasket. Straight up if you have this issue and you have the cash to pay someone to fix it? pay the man. I haven't got down to the heads yet but this project is really testing my patience, there is LOTS of shit going on down there. Just a friendly heads up so you don't end up like me too far in to turn back wishing I would have taken it to someone who specializes in Duramax engine's.

Back