• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

in remembrance of our vets

Edzzed

Reaction score
this is a true story about my uncle Bob. if you can imagine this happening near your 20th birthday. Ed

Robert G Rogers, Air Gunner, Pilot Officer, Middleton ST.
George, Durham England.
---Missing--- DNCO (duty not carried out).
My Royal Canadian Air Force Log records the following entry for December
29, 1944.
Let me tell you the story behind this entry.
On December 29, 1944, I was a member of 419 (moose) Squadron which was
based at Middleton ST. George, Durham.
I was the rear gunner of the Lancaster bomber "L" for Love which was
skippered by Pilot Officer Ray Adam. .

That day we were briefed for a bombing mission against oil refineries at
Scholven near Essen. Our time on target was 19:05 thousand and our
bombing height was 19,000 feet. It was with some trepidation we buckled
up for the operation, not forgetting the harrowing experience we had 5
days previously. On that raid we were hit by flak over Dusseldorf and
forced to make an emergency landing at Woodbridge in England.

Everything went according to plan until we approached our target area.
Flak was all around us. Suddenly, I noticed predicted flak on our port
quarter and notified the the skipper ; he immediately commenced evasive
action. Just then I heard the navigator, Paul Wakely , tell the skipper
not to alter course as we were only 20 seconds from the target.
Suddenly there was a terrific explosion as our bomber was hit by flak.
I was blown clear of the turret as a result of the explosion. My face
was on fire and I felt a burning sensation in my left leg as I was hit
by shrapnel. With my right hand I extinguished the flames on my face and
with the next motion pulled the rip cord on my seat parachute.

The war for me really began when my parachute opened. I was horribly
sick from the stench of burnt flesh, the smell of cordite in the air,
and the constant swinging back and forth on the parachute. Suddenly, I
looked down and there was the ground rushing to meet me. I landed
heavily on cobbled stones in a courtyard surrounded by three story
buildings. My right ankle was badly injured in the landing.

Although both my legs were injured, I managed to hobble out to the
street where I was apprehended by a civilian and taken to a police
station. There I was searched and interrogated about the raid and my
squadron. I learned from my captors that I was on the outskirts of
Essen. I was taken to an air raid shelter where my burns and wounds were
treated. The mood at the air raid shelter was extremely ugly. Comments
like, "Bastard baby killer" and 'Swine" were hurled at me. I actually
feared for my life. fortunately, the guards would not let the civilians
close to me. That night I spent in a cold dark cell in the basement of a
police station. How I wished I was back with the squadron at middleton.

The next morning I was transported in the back of an open truck to a
Luftwaffe rest home. I simply could not believe the damage that the
allied air forces had inflicted on the city of Essen. Buildings,
structures, trains and other vehicles were smashed or demolished. It was
a real eye opener for me, since I as a flier had caused part of this
damage. At the rest home a Luftwaffe Medical officer ordered me removed
for further treatment to a French prisoner of war hospital in Dusseldorf.

It was hardly a hospital by our standards. There was no level of
cleanliness apparent, as it was infested with vermin. I saw prisoners of
war with limbs amputated due to wounds or from infections caused by
gangrene. Others were so badly scarred that it was revolting to look at
them. Medical supplies were non-existent to help these unfortunate men;
especially one 22 year old Canadian Pilot whose right arm and left leg
were amputated. My injuries seemed insignificant in comparison.

Toward the end of January, I was moved along with the other Air Force
prisoners from the hospital to the Luftwaffe detention and
interrogation camp at Frankfurt. I was told by an interrogation officer
at the camp that none of my crew had survived the explosion. I was
shocked and devastated to hear this sad news. I thought surely someone
besides myself had survived.

After a week at the interrogation center, I was moved to a make-shift
camp outside the city of Nuremburg where I stayed for approximately two
months. It was during this time that I was to experience the full fury
of the allied bombing. Three separate raids were launched against the
city of Nuremburg. It was a terrifying experience. How the German
people survived these raids I will never know. Myself I was physically
and mentally exhausted after each raid. With the allied armies
advancing from the West and East, we were herded into boxcars for our
next destination, Munich. During the trip we were strafed by allied
fighters. Again I survived this friendly action. We eventually reached
Munich where we remained captives until we were liberated by General
George Paton's 6th armored division on April 29, 1945. two weeks later
I was flown back to England.

I am a survivor of the raid of december 29th 1944.

Thanks to all the vets!

I am sure that stories like this are in all of our families - we are free for a reason....and cost...

I had a great uncle killed in "ww1" a couple injured in "ww2" and a brother in law captured at "Dieppe". All my troubles seem minor. Leo

I am so proud to have been born into a Society where it is essentially our responsibility as FREE men to protect those freedoms, and where we have the opportunity to prosper more than 80% of the rest of the world. When you look at other countries like, for example Kenya, and all of the truly SEVERE poverty, even the poor have it good here in comparison to that.
SO, I say, HATS OFF to each and every person, large or small, male or female, Black or white, who has EVER served in the military of a free country where they either by choice or by necessity fought, died, or simply patrolled to protect those basic freedoms we hold so dear.
I also ask Our Father in Heaven to watch over and protect all of those serving today in foreign theaters to protect our way of life, and that He will allow them the knowledge that they are TRULY appreciated for their sacrifices on our behalf, and that HE will lead, guide, and protect them in all that they do.
I ask this coming BOLDLY to the throne of Grace, Humbly asking as a Sanctified, Spirit filled Follower of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, and it is through HIS name I Pray!
AMEN!!!!!!!

May God Richly Bless each and every person who has the courage and fortitude to call on HIM in their time of need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sincerely
Christopher Lee Kelley

Ed thank you...Remembrance to our National Heroes & vets around the world...

My self originally from Richmond Surrey England, my Grandfather on my Mothers side i didn't know as he didn't survived the concentration camp, my Grandfather on my Fathers side served with Montgomery in the 8th Royal Tank Reg....

We have to thank all for that we are here to day...God Bless

/Paul

In our everyday civilian lives it's easy to forget the real and significant sacrifices usually young people have made and continue to make to keep us free. Thanks for the reminder and thank you to the vets and their families.

here is some of the war correspondance from my uncle. here i thought the family only knew he was missing for two months. when it really was almost 4 1/2 months. i liked the part about sending those responsible for packing his chute something. Ed

edzzed

Attachments

• Letter--MIA.pdf
    202.9 KB · Views: 3
  • POW Letter Part 1.pdf
    224.1 KB · Views: 2
  • POW Letter Part 2.pdf
    157.9 KB · Views: 3
I would like to say that as a 3rd gen vet i have heard stories dating back to wwI and most every conflict the us has been in since Vietnam, Korea,panama have seen first hand what war is like and i owe a debt of gratitude to my father and grandfather(god bless his soul) for serving this country when not many wanted too and for giving me the right to choose to serve after high school. I know first hand what is like to from both sides as a child watching dad leave for war gulf and serving behind him in the same genral area a few years latter. so thank you to all vets Jerry

My grandfather was a member of the Royal Canadian Air Force, as well. He was an officer that flew in Lancasters and reached the highest rank possible for a Canadian in the Royal Air Force, which was "Squadron Leader/Commander".

His job was Radar Operator/Technician which was a type of Navigator in the first radar equipped bombers which, at the time, was top secret. He flew 3 tours of duty which is over 80 missions. He was the very first bomber in the formation, which is the one that dropped the flares for other navigators to target.

He still tells me stories about his time in the military. He was never shot down, but had to crash land 2 bombers and had another one "taken away" because it had too many holes in the hull(I guess it looked like Swiss cheese).

His squadron number is also missing from records. It's a pretty neat story!

I should add that the reason the number of missions he flew is significant is because it was rare anyone made 5. You were considered lucky to live through 20. 80 was nearly unheard of.

Thanks for sharing that story Ed!

I like threads like these...

Ed, that was great...!

Here's a couple of me from back in the day. Dont everyone laugh at once...):h

Attachments

• HPIM0714.jpg
    HPIM0714.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 9
  • HPIM0720.jpg
    HPIM0720.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 9
Great pics, Nick... thanks for your service!

Ed - thank you so much for sharing your letters and memories.

Today was Remembrance Day... A day to remember those who gave their all to secure our freedoms today. I never served; but many of my relatives did, and I honour them by paying special attention, especially on this day, to what they served, fought, and in some cases, died for.

I wanted to share my impressions of this morning with you all.

I went home today, to the Royal Canadian Legion my father belonged to, and that my Uncle and his old troops called home. It was very moving to watch the men and women from another age, from other wars, still holding up their heads as they walked, sometimes rolled, to the cenotaph.

I am heartened by the young people who came out to share the memories this morning - over 80 high school students from that small village, over 150 elementary students, all with flags, pins, crosses or wreaths to lay. I am pleased that several foreign troops, living in the area or visiting from afar, came to share this day with us. I am heartened by the presence of some of our modern peacekeeping troops, including a young man not much older than my own kids with a missing leg, a victim of a mine incident in Sarajevo. I am proud that fully a dozen currently-serving members from different branches of the Canadian military came today in full Uniform to speak with the kids after the ceremonies, to tell them that there is no glory in war, that war is the price we pay for peace, and that the strong must stand up for the weak.

Most of all, I shiver at the sound of Last Post in the crisp morning air, echoing and lingering against the mountains, as we remember those who were unable to be here this morning, at 1100 hrs, on the 11th day of the 11th month, in 2008.

On days like this, with the sound of the pipes hanging in the air, there are no borders, no politics, only pride in what each man stands for, and respect for those who gave all for what they believed in. May we never face the tests they faced, but may we acquit ourselves as well every day.

God bless ALL the vets, living or dead, in all of our forces.

This morning I woke up and made some coffee. My 13 year old daughter, who had sung in High School choir at yesterdays memorial service at the elementary school here in Banff, came up and sat with me. She has always taken the Remembrance Day services very seriously, whether marching in the parades, singing or writing essays and poems for the services. As is the case every year, she asked about and I explained the roles of our various relatives and friends in past conflicts.
After a quick breakfast we both headed downtown to do some chores and agreed to meet in front of the local legion for the Remembrance Day parade and the services after, as we do every year.
The small town we live in is unique in that it's a beautiful, well known mountain tourist resort with a substantial number of large hotels that are staffed by good number of recently arrived Canadians as well as not so recently arrived folks.
As I looked around at the crowd, I was struck by the diversity of people paying their respects as they could. There were vets from several different conflicts. There were numerous different families from different backgrounds (Ethioupian, Japanese, Phillipino, Mexican, East Indian, Korean and others), the parents working at local hotels, the kids attending school here, many of them members of the cadet groups marching in the parade. There were tourists from all parts of the world, watching, taking pictures.
I saw two old vets, who I have known for the past 29 years, standing together, thier heads solemnly bowed. One, John A.. who was born and raised nearby, flew Hawker Hurricanes in the Battle of Britain and then Halifaxs in the bombing raids over Germany. The other, Jon R..., fought alongside Rommel (literally) in the Sahara until he was captured and eventually transported on the QE I to NYC and then by train to a POW camp in this area. After the war and his return to Germany, he packed up all his belongings and his new wife and came back to live here and raise a family. John and Jon have been friends for almost 50 years.
I could not have stood with my child, taking this all in, had it not been for the sacrifice of those being remembered. We would not have the privelage of choosing collectively who we want to run our respective countries, to travel where our wants and whims urge us, to live where we want and choose our friends and associates as our hearts tell us.

As I said to my daughter,...lest we forget.

Dan Bell

Back