• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I'm here.....

adstx19

Reaction score
I originally purchased my 1994 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 Truck in 1996. Other than replacing the transmission, and the injection pump a couple of times its been a great truck.

I recently had the engine rebuilt and the truck painted, factory colors, it runs well except that it lacks power.

These engines lack the HP where the TQ peaks. Like all Mediocre GM pickup engines of this era (6.2 6.5TD, 4.3L, 350, 454) they just fell over at RPM because GM couldn't be bothered to say use fuel injection from other divisions they owned fighting the "Not Invented Here". The airflow on the diesels: I am not sure they could have done any worse, but, the LLY Duramax made an attempt.

A little tweak in a tune and a better turbo will wake these engines up. Different turbo's have come out since the ATT towing turbo proved a different turbo on this engine was really needed. IMO one needs to put a high stall converter on the engine after you get it breathing to wake it up like GM did with the anemic Olds Diesels.

These engines lack the HP where the TQ peaks. Like all Mediocre GM pickup engines of this era (6.2 6.5TD, 4.3L, 350, 454) they just fell over at RPM because GM couldn't be bothered to say use fuel injection from other divisions they owned fighting the "Not Invented Here". The airflow on the diesels: I am not sure they could have done any worse, but, the LLY Duramax made an attempt.

A little tweak in a tune and a better turbo will wake these engines up. Different turbo's have come out since the ATT towing turbo proved a different turbo on this engine was really needed. IMO one needs to put a high stall converter on the engine after you get it breathing to wake it up like GM did with the anemic Olds Diesels.

TheA-Team was one of the improvements that I was going to instill onto My truck. I dont remember though, if the real low RPMs I run when pulling was a good mate for that turbo.
Now, if the time ever comes that I can afford a new turbo, I’ll be contacting Q-Star Tuning and be ding Johns ear. Also on a tune too.

Low rpm towing with the 6.5 is a recipe for a cracked block
Agree 100%.

When off roading and slow speed is required but I need more power to climb it- i will lock in low range just to bump up rpm.
This is also part of why I bought the 18:1 pistons is to ease that issue. It’s the ridiculous high compression trying to torque at slow engine speed that is so hard on it. The faster spinning engine helps get the torque being used coking from that lil rule of- a body in motion tends to stay in motion...
Having the engine balanced and lower compression eases that abuse some. So does that 5.24:1 ratio but pickups can’t get that help so getting those rpm up needs to be paid attention to.

Thanks for the warm welcome..

To be honest, it was a great truck. And was pretty much a daily driver until 2017. Except for hitting two deer, never been wrecked. After 430k miles the engine was just wore out.

My plans are to put a 4 inch exhaust on it, a diy turbomaster, and to have the front end completely redone. While working on the front end, get a 3 inch lift kit put on it. That should get me through this year....

I'd like to do some things to improve mileage after these upgrades.

And what makes you think the turbo is not also worn out with the engine? IMO get a better one rather than rebuilding GM's Mediocre afterthought turbo.

At 430k miles- I would plan on parts you can use on the next engine because of all the 6.5’s I saw... I don’t know remember one hitting 550,000

Back