• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Im about to cry

6.5baby

Reaction score
So after finally getting the potato to run amazing yesterday.....it wont start anymore. I hit the key and the starter makes a horrible grinding noise(like if you hit the starter while running). I was hoping it was just a broken bolt and the starter shifted, but, alas the bracket and both bolts are intact. Im about to cry thinking that what happened to my 6.2 has happened to the potato. Can anyone give me a little hope that it is just a bad starter and not a stripped flywheel or locked motor?

The positive to this situation is that the starter bolts are not broken. Having the starter brace is imperative to this engine. Too many times has the starter brace been deleted and starter bolts or the block where the starter bolts up is broken and turned into a massive paperweight.

My 6.2 broke the starter bolts 6 times before i finally figured out the little bracket was missing....lol. starter is out. The flywheel is perfect, bendix gear is perfect, bolt for the bracket sheared off the starter allowing it to torque out of place. Im seriously thanking God it is that!! On my way to get the starter bench tested :) yall are amazing in your support and advice!!!

It is normal that starter give up after sometimes.
Just replace the starter.
Make sure the cables are good.

Also, you may need to check the Ignition Switch Harness.
I had experience to have starter cranking before the key is in the crank position and made some grinding noise.
Turned out it was the Ignition Switch harness.

Starter is actually relatively new(ac delco reman). It benched perfect 4 times and the bendix and flywheel look good(despite a super small amout of damage to very end of the teeth from where the starter kicked out of place). I had only tried 1 time to start it and heard the grinding. Starter is back in, truck is about to come down off the stands and im praying its fixed :)

It is normal that starter give up after sometimes.
Just replace the starter.
Make sure the cables are good.

Also, you may need to check the Ignition Switch Harness.
I had experience to have starter cranking before the key is in the crank position and made some grinding noise.
Turned out it was the Ignition Switch harness.
Usually just the brushes need replacement...........

Back