• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ignition wiring - Another GM design winner!

Pillow

Recruit
Reaction score
Idiots!!! Why did the brain trusts at GM design the ignition switch and wiring to use these impossible E-0 (?) heads on the retaining bolts? The "E" series is essentially a reversed Torx.

The actual wiring was not that bad at all... Maybe I was mentally prepared for hell :)

BUT I of course broke the PLASTIC ignition key actuator disk with the male nipple in the middle... Hopefully some Super Glue will do the trick, but I doubt it. Looks like the dealer might see this truck again in its lifetime after all, as I am a little stuck on how to fix that one.

... Friggin pissed on this project and in seeing the cheapness of parts that actuate the ignition. Why not metal? Why not a less convoluted system? Why such a rediculous bolt to keep it together?

Grrr.

Any decent auto parts place that carries Lisle tools should be able to get you a set of those sockets. When I did an engine swap last year on my kid's car, I had to re-use the studs for the intake and exhaust. I *was* just going to double-nut them, but didn't want to risk damaging the threads, and ended up picking up a set of those sockets - they weren't *that* expensive.

E4 seems a tough nut to find. Maybe I will just be an asshat and put in phillips head screws :)

Wife is not pleased...

She borrowed my fathers Subaru Outback for her Slumber Parties show tonight and loaded all her gear in there. She said it was nice to drive in a quiet car again but the size was too small. Once you get used to the Suburbans size it is hard to go to a normal car again.

Anyway I need to fix this beastie quick before the wife sets it on fire in the driveway.

pulled mine three times for various reasons- it is just a PITA, just a slow process that I could not figure a shortcut for. Oh, its even worse when you put everything back together and you have not adjusted position so when turning to crank, it doesn"t, then pull everything back apart and adjust.

I ended up using phillips head screws :)

We will see if this does the trick for the stalling.

... Otherwise I will set it on fire.

Back