• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

idle issues

SfcJones

A(ACLU) SGT. SLAUGHTER
Reaction score
Looks like I need to replace my FPR, does anyone have a clue on where this thing is located and where is the best place to get parts....

as recommended by SuperDiesel...

Put 2 QTs of a good trans fluid in the tank with the next fill up. After about 1/2 tank is used see if it is any better. This helps the lubricity in the fuel. You may be getting a gall on the slide inside the regulator. This will help loosen it back up. I've moded them sinse 05. I've seen this condition many times and this usually helps.
heard its a PITA, gotta remove A/C pump, coolant line, PCV line, then remove the 3 torx-25 screws holding it in without dropping them into the valley.

I'll try to find a picture for you...

Thanks Paul, I will try that. With the milage I ahve I am thinking I need to change it out.

Tools needed:

Torx T-25 bit in 1/4 drive and 2 inch extension.
12mm sockets
15mm sockets
8mm hex bit
10mm sockets and wrenches
various small screw drivers

Getting started:

Disconnect the negatives on both batteries

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

Pull off the intake hose

IMG 1.jpg

Drain the coolant out from the radiator, there is a little drain bolt that can be opened up so that the coolant can be drained.

IMG_8.jpg

note:
You only want to drain enough to empty the thermostat housing. about a gallon would be enough to keep the coolant from going all over the place when you crap open the thermostat housing.

====================================

Next thing would be to remove the AC compressor

IMG_9.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

when you unbolt the AC compressor just lay it on over to the passenger side of the engine.

IMG_011.jpg
=====================================

The next step would be to remove the radiator hose coming from top of the radiator to the thermostat housing.

========================================
After removing the hose you will have to get the thermostat housing off. You might have to move the big electrical wire connectors out the way a little bit to get access to the bolt that's holding the support bracket that's part of the thermostat housing down
========================================
IMG2.jpg

IMG3.jpg
after that you can now work on getting the actual bolts on the thermostat housing. there are 4 of them that need to be removed to pull the housing off.
IMG_012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg
once its off you can lay it out the way or just disconnect the hose on there thats going to the turbo.
====================================

Now you can get to work on getting the wire harness out of the way.

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

once you work your way disconnecting wires form the driver side to past the turbo you then can lay the wire harness over to the side.

After doing that you can then remove the turbocharger inlet horn. there are 3 10mm bolts holding it on, a flex hear ratchet head wrench works nice in this area.

IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Now you should have a clear view of the FCA from up top.

There is two rubber hoses going to the cp3 pump, remove them to get better access to the FCA with your torx bit.

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

Here is a side view of it. (note this is a lbz fca on a lb7 cp3)
IMG_0028.jpg
Heres a top view of it
100_29.jpg

There is 3 T-25 torx bits holding the FCA to the cp3. Be careful when removing them make sure that the bit is stuck firmly in the bolt before trying to remove it. A nice trick t do it put some glue on the bit so that when you take it out you dont loose it into the abyss that is also known as the valley of the engine. These bolts are a litte hard to get out but it just takes time a patience. If you happen to get some dirt in the hole where the fca used to be, turn the engine over a few times so the cpe can flush the fuel out that hole and taking the dirt with it.

when finished swapping out re-assemble the truck

Write up courtesy of Danny on Diesel Bombers
pencil.png

wow, that looks like a bit more involved than I dare to go. I will buy the part and let my trusted dealer do it.....but first I will try the tranny fluid to see if I can buy some time.
Thanks Paul for the info.I really do appreciate it.

Sfc,

You can do it. I did it and all it takes is some time. I actually had to pull my whole CP3 out to get the fpr out because the screws were pretty siezed up but its just nuts and bolts. You can getter whipped. There is a thread somewhere that I was asking questions in and Vinny (Durallymax) listed the best/cheapest places to buy the FPR. I got mine from Merchant tho

Thanks for the encouragement, 2 quarts of tranny fluid is making this thing behave as well as a dose of power service.

just don't use it too often... you could coke up the injector tips...

lets hope this one (or occasional) dose does the trick...

Back