• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

IDI of a different flavor.....

nmb2

Reaction score
I'm sure some of you recognize my screen name, I recognize a few here, and I've seen my name pop up before, and recently got a PM on another site seeing if I would come over because it was hard to keep up with my posts otherwise, so here I am.

For those who don't know, I have a '92 F350 with a 6.9 IDI. I was outcasted from the "ford IDI source" about a year back when I got into these, and being cocky about wanting to make more than 200rwhp/400rwtq, and I have since built a truck and continue to test/tune. I am close to getting it dialed in......

IMG_4915.jpg

IMG_4244.jpg

Not sure if I can "welcome" here or not since I don't have that detroit under my hood, but I do have an IDI, and a stanadyne rotary pump, and love seeing different ideas.

Hello. I have followed your build before. Way to go. I for myself welcome you. The further we can run the IDI market, the better. I recently made 260rwhp and 400ft lbs of torque with a large housing ATT. Just a quick update, what turbo are you running and what are your power numbers?

welcome been watching your build. expect alot more civility here than there which is why most of us are here.

My last dyno was 292/614. I run a ZF5 and 4.10 dually rear. Coast down was 29%

dyno.jpg

I know it sucks they gave me the dyno sheet with MPH but I didn't notice, and didn't care much. 60mph is 2,200, 70mph is about 2500.

I currently am running a box stock JD/CAT BW 61/65/.80 T3 w/ locked gate. The turbocharger is too small, and locking the gate decreases housing flow. I really should of built my turbo kit in a T4 platform. I have a custom charger coming from Engineered Diesel, its an E.D. - 63/68/.80 T3 with a functional WG. Although the new rotor group doesn't seem like a big change, it is. The newer wheels are superior in every aspect to my current wheels, and the new .80 housing is machined to make the scroll passages wider where it hits the wheel, WG bypass larger.

Ideally I should be running a 63/74/.91 non gated housing, but that would require me to build a new intake again, and quite frankly, I don't feel like it right now. I'm going to try the new charger out and see what happens. Worst case, its about $200 to swap turbine wheel and housing with E.D.

That being said, the other "hurdle" I have right now is getting my DB4 to deliver full fuel above 2600rpm. Its max output is 150cc's, but due to the design of these pumps, its hard to get the fuel into the chambers at higher RPM. The solution is to have the rotor machined for more fill ports. There is a lot more power to pull out of my setup, it just takes time. Other than that, I rolled over 7,000 miles this weekend, and I've been averaging low 16's for MPG. I currently run 4.10's, I am swapping them out for 3.73's.

Thanks. Those numbers and damn impressive. Congratulations. You got my support and I am sure others as well.

Welcome to The Truck Stop! :welcome2: Mighty nice rig there:thumbsup:

Moving to inroductions so everyone gets a chance to see the new member's nice rig. The build part should be in Ford IDI so it can be found later in a search. I hope everyone understands the need for the organization of this.

Welcome nmb2 !!!!! I am a rookie but these guys have taught me a lot! God bless each and every one of these sooty black handed wrench turning fanatics with diesel fumes all around them ! LOL I havent told them but I got a 1986 Ford four door dually with a non turbo 6.9 a few months ago to play with. Not got it on the road yet. Need to tighten up a leaking injector fitting on the IP and put a electric lift pump on it first. Look forward to learning about the 6.9 from ur threads! Once again welcome!

Not holding out just need backup in case Hully blows on The Trip. I will at least have a farm truck here when I get home! Besides I REALLY WANT LEROYS TRUCK!!!! Thats Burning Oil o. This forum nmb2.

Welcome Nmb2. Would that I had know of you sooner. I was assigned to Ft Lewis though "with duty at" here in Utah. I visited there frequently and would drive the truck for the main reason 'that I could.' It would have been great to meet you on one of those trips. Alas, I'm retired now so doubtful I'll get that way again any time soon. Even to Ellensburg/Yakima....

Welcome to the Truck Stop! :thumbsup:

Don't you have a video of the maiden voyage after you slapped the engine in the truck?

Welcome to The Truck Stop!

Thats a fine looking rig you have there, and a strong running 6.9 too boot! I'm definitely looking forward to watching your build thread. Who knows, maybe there is learning and info that can be swapped among us to push that rig even further.

Welcome!
You got easy access to the IP without moving the intake out of the way. Down the road there is a 89 Ford with a banks sidewinder on it. He spent $7K to rebuild the engine when the crankcase was full of water a few years ago. (Someone else as nuts as I am to spend that kind of coin on an old truck.)

'Forgotten Diesels' have a home here. 'I don't recall they could do that' is one of the things we like to do here.

Back