• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Iam 0lder, just like My motorcoach. It has A 454 gas engine, Think that big thing Would be better with a diesel . Any suggestions would be great

LS 6.2, add turbo even better. Great engine, more power, slightly better mpg. Less maintenance.

Going to a diesel then Cummins or duramax.
Way more expensive investment- and since you are asking, I assume you are not a Modern diesel mechanic. So that is a world of mess.
Most GOOD diesel conversions are around $50,000 and up depending on the rig.

Most modern crate motors will work, modern EFI is a stand alone system, turbo or no turbo your choice...
People are putting these in everything and they are geared towards standalone engine control for ease of use...

ZZ 632
LSX 502
LSX 454
LS7 427

Welcome to TTS!

Is it better to get rid of the 454 for a diesel? Depends.

New diesel? Not if the system needs DEF.

And what motorcoach? I had a buddy whom had a Class B with the GM 6.0L gas v8 and 6 speed tranny. Claimed that he got 10 mpg running up and down the East Coast when limiting speed to 55 mph as there was no rush to get anywhere. Only reason he got out of the Class B was that he wanted to go back to a travel trailer.

If the 454 is in a Class A, going to diesel starts to make sense. Related, this configuration likely has either a 3 or 4 speed tranny, so going to a 6 speed will help as well.

Back