• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I would like to install a compass/thermometer mirror on my 1994 K3500.

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
I would like to install a compass/thermometer mirror on my 1994 K3500.

I know I posted someplace a long time ago but I can't find the thread.

Where is the pick up for the thermometer?

Will I need a windshield for the thermometer pick up?

I need a windshield anyway.

Will the newer windshields off a Suburban fit?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sender is right behind the grill. I believe they are all the same old and new so a trip to the boneyard gives you LOTS of optional donors. IIRC, one of our Washington state guys did a write up.

Or, you can install on from an S10 in an overhead console if you don't want to go the mirror route:

DSC03690.jpg

I would like to see the write up also, I know 88GMCtruck got one for his 99 but I haven't ssen the write up yet.

There's not a lot to write up.

The roof of an ext cab is already set up for the console, you just have to cut out the headliner board over the mount holes. One note: early years don't have the holes, I had to cut them in the second roof skin in my 89 to mount a console.

Then add a sensor for the temp on the front rad support from the same s10 you got the display from ( they changed through the years, wrong gen gives the wrong temp).

One wire to vss on the back of the radio, two wires to the illumination/dimmer circuits and then power, ground and acc.

Wire up the reading lamps to power and ground and they're good to go. Power and ground to homelink if you have it.

Compass is self contained.

There's pin out diagrams all over the net for the s10 display. Google turns 'em up.

Easy peasy.....

Temp/comp mirror should be even easier.

Last edited:
I installed an auto dimming/compass/temp mirror in my '94 silverado about 3 years ago. Since then my buddy has done it in his '96 cummins but he did the auto dimming/compass/temp/onstar lol.. I had all the pinouts for each style mirror somewhere, will have to look for them. My mirror came out of a Saturn Vue, and his came out of a NBS Trailblazer. Make sure you get the thermometer sensor out of the vehicle you get the mirror from, a few of the sensors work with different mirrors. No need to replace your windshield just for this project. Let me see what i can find...

Ones you can get:
•Auto dim only
•Auto dim + Compass
•Auto dim + Compass + Temp + Onstar

For the 7-pin Gentex mirror:

7-pin: (*required connection; **required if you have a temp display)
•PIN 1 = PINK = POWER = +12 volts*
•PIN 2 = BLACK = CHASSIS, GROUND*
•PIN 3 = LIGHT GREEN = BACKUP LIGHTS*
•If not using the backup feature, connect this to ground otherwise auto dim will not function properly.
•PIN 4 = GRAY = TO AUTO DIM OUTSIDE MIRROR
•PIN 5 = PINK = TO AUTO DIM OUTSIDE MIRROR
•PIN 6 = DARK GREEN/WHITE = TEMP SENSOR**

•PIN 7 = BLACK/WHITE = TEMP SENSOR**

16 pin: (*required; **required if you have a temp display)
•1 = Grey = not used
•2 = Bare = Microphone
•OnStar Mirrors
•3 = = "Passenger Air Bag on" notification
•some GM trucks - ground pin to activate icon
•4 = = "Passenger Air Bag off" notification
•some GM trucks - ground pin to activate icon
•5 = = auto day/night signal from LH outside mirror
•If you have a dimmable mirror, the rearview mirror can dim it with this and pin 16
•6 = Brown = Temp probe connection**
•7 = Green/Black = Temp probe connection**
•8 = Black = Ground*
•Common to Pin 9
•9 = Light Green = Reverse Dim Inhibit

•Common to Pin 8, +12V from reverse lights to disable dimming
•10 = Gray = Microphone
•OnStar
•11 = Dark Green/White = keypad signal (out)
•OnStar - multiplexed signal
•12 = Light Green = keypad +5v supply (in)
•OnStar
•13 = Yellow = +12V switched (ignition)*
•14 = Yellow/Black = Green LED signal
•OnStar - apply 12v to light LED.
•15 = Brown/White = Red LED signal
•OnStar - apply 12v to light LED.
•16 = = day/night signal to LH outside mirror
•If you have a dimmable mirror, the rearview mirror can dim it with this and pin 5

I was hoping the OEM thermometers were built into the windshield as I have to replace my windshield anyway.

Looks ALike I can put this off til after the windshield is changed.

Very nice wire break down thanks guys, I have a big trip planned this weekend to a yard in MO I will be filling a bed with stuff for my old 91 z71

I have a couple of the Blazer Temp Compass Setups and a Homelink that goes inplace of the Velcro Garage door Opener I dont need them and will sell PM me

They are the Blazer set up for a Sun Roof Ill take 100.00 for the one with the homelink it has a cut off Wire harness on it and 60 bucks for the one without, They both are Therm and Compass, 20 bucks for the Homelink setup for console

Id kinda like on in my rig, I may have to do this. I seen some aftermarket mirrors with a backup cam in them. When the camera is off its reflective like a mirror. They were not cheap.

If anyone needs help getting a mirror let me know what you want and i can check the local yard here. Will sell to you for yard price plus shipping.

I checked a yard yesterday. I found a lot of the mirrors with what looked like only the reading lights in them, no visible places for digital readouts. But they had a three wire loom going to them. Not sure why three wires as the lights should only need two, unless they were wired to also work with the interior lights when the door opens. I did find one in a 97 Caddy though. They quoted me $50 for it. I then on Craigslist found a 99 Tahoe being parted out. I contacted the seller and he does have the mirror in it for $30.

One question I have is, do the newer mirrors have a visible readout in them like the older ones have? If the newer readouts don't show like the older mirrors then the only visible clue would be the number of wires in the loom to the mirror.

Also, does anybody have a pic of the thermometer temperature sensor so that others will know what to look for?

Don

If anyone needs help getting a mirror let me know what you want and i can check the local yard here. Will sell to you for yard price plus shipping.

If you ever get around to the yard I wouldnt mind one with a compass. My mirror fell off the glass so I need to re glue the block anyways. Im not in any hurry, Im planning to start working on my truck next month.

I checked a yard yesterday. I found a lot of the mirrors with what looked like only the reading lights in them, no visible places for digital readouts. But they had a three wire loom going to them. Not sure why three wires as the lights should only need two, unless they were wired to also work with the interior lights when the door opens. I did find one in a 97 Caddy though. They quoted me $50 for it. I then on Craigslist found a 99 Tahoe being parted out. I contacted the seller and he does have the mirror in it for $30.

One question I have is, do the newer mirrors have a visible readout in them like the older ones have? If the newer readouts don't show like the older mirrors then the only visible clue would be the number of wires in the loom to the mirror.

Also, does anybody have a pic of the thermometer temperature sensor so that others will know what to look for?

Don

Here is a pic of one type of sensor. There is another that mounts a tiny bit differently, but basically looks the same. My mirror has a double display, which reads temp and comp at the same time.

Attachments

• Gentex sensor 1.jpg
    Gentex sensor 1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 3
Back