• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I want to go to synthetics now...

Ozzie

Snow looming...run!!
Reaction score
My truck now has 14k on it and towing season for the RV is firing up.

I want to do both diff's and transfer case for now. I think it's too early to do the tranny (did the filter).

Can someone please tell me what are the best synthetics to use and quantities I want to buy?
Also, can these systems be flushed out to remove the new truck shavings?

I use Amsoils Severe Gear 75w90 in the front dif and 75w110 in the rear. There is no need to flush it, just let it drain.

2 quarts in the front and 4 quarts in the rear.

I agree that more places carry Mobil1 but even out in the middle of nowhere, where I live there are three places that deal Amsoil.

Agreed with above... Mobil 1 is good stuff, and the gear oil is available everywhere.

Now, the Delvac 1 engine oil, thats a little harder to find

i use the gm stuff in the diffs, just cause i get it free. if not amsoil or mobil 1 for me. i use the delvac 1 oil from mobil also. real nice stuff.

Mobile 1 in the diffs trans and tcase for me....Shell Rotella T Synthetic in the engine... I ran AMSOIL before, and if I had it to do over again, there's no way I would again....

Ahh...I was trying to keep an open mind, but would prefer to get it at the store too...
If you like the Amsoil, it probably has a purty good shelf life, so you could order enough for two changes, then you would always have it with you (as you use the second batch, order again). I see you are an RVer so toting a few gallons of gear oil is not ideal, but at 30K changes you'll probably not be away from home that long.

I'm not sure where the thread was, but Mike L. sort of gave his opinion on the different syn gear oils and he was feeling purty good about several different ones. I'll try to find that thread.
JP

I've never tried Amsoil, and I have been looking for recommendations for both diff's and the transfer. From what I've been reading, several still like the GM stuff too.
The transfer sounds like it should be ATF? Are different weights recommended for front and rear diff's?

I would appreciate any info on this as I haven't been through it before.

...nice avatar Heartbeat Hauler...like that one a lot...:thumbsup:

I've never tried Amsoil, and I have been looking for recommendations for both diff's and the transfer. From what I've been reading, several still like the GM stuff too.
The transfer sounds like it should be ATF? Are different weights recommended for front and rear diff's?

I would appreciate any info on this as I haven't been through it before.

I found that thread I was talking about, umm, but it's on a different forum. I am posting the thread location, hope I'm not breaking any rules, purely informational only.

Preface: Oz, Mike L has a great rep for trans work and also being very inovative when comes to making the Allison bullet proof. I would trust anything he says....unless the conversation turns to sheep....):h

Anyways, scroll down to post #5, that's where he starts. http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3056

Oh, and thanks. I looked long and hard for an avatar that would convey how I felt about things, and this one does the job....:patriot:
JP

Last edited:
I use Mobil One synthetic in the differentials.

Same here, with Mobil Delvac 1 in the engine.
Agreed with above... Mobil 1 is good stuff, and the gear oil is available everywhere.

Now, the Delvac 1 engine oil, thats a little harder to find

I hadn't been able tofind it until recently at Farm & Fleet. Not of the auto parts stores around me have had it. Just Delvac 1300. I'm sure now that F&F are carrying it, more places will have it soon.

Thanks for that link Heartbeat Hauler...I read it with interest...kind would like it if he would consider visiting us over here...;)

We aren't hot on the trail of links to other places...maybe at some point it might be an issue, as in with vendors and such, but we're definitely trying to be more open about things here.

Thanks for that link Heartbeat Hauler...I read it with interest...kind would like it if he would consider visiting us over here...;)
No problem. He has some good info, I hope it helped. Also, an invite might go a long way, especially from one of the "Big Dogs"....:thumbsup:

We aren't hot on the trail of links to other places...maybe at some point it might be an issue, as in with vendors and such, but we're definitely trying to be more open about things here.
Cool. I didn't want to muddy the waters early in the game. I appreciate the openess. I do understand bidness is bidness, but it is also about helping one another.
JP

Same here, with Mobil Delvac 1 in the engine.

I hadn't been able tofind it until recently at Farm & Fleet. Not of the auto parts stores around me have had it. Just Delvac 1300. I'm sure now that F&F are carrying it, more places will have it soon.

Actually, Farm & fleet is where I buy it too. They had it back in November when I bought my truck, and there's still no one else carrying it.

I'm not holding my breath. Just gotta make a trip to Montgomery twice a year...

No problem. He has some good info, I hope it helped. Also, an invite might go a long way, especially from one of the "Big Dogs".
JP

It would be great to have Mike L here frequently. I know he's a member. That guy is a true Allison and drivetrain guru!

Amsoil at Dealer cost for all DTR members. if your thinking of making the switch to synthetics and wanna go the amsoil Route Please keep us in mind.

Back