• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I Want my hx40wii turbo to boost more quickly

Chevy3500

Reaction score
Whats the best way to get this turbo to boost more quickly. I have also wondered why when every i let off the throttle after boosting, when the waste gate comes open its like a couple seconds delay then you hear the whaa through the exhaust, and when i had the gm turbo on it did the whaa noise instantly when i would let off the throttle

Whats your exhaust like? As in cross over pipe and after turbo. I Have this same turbo and the boost comes on super fast and i can easily get to about 20 psi, i have the waste gate just about adjusted to the lowest i can get it. I removed the silencer ring from the turbo and the whistle is just crazy stupid loud and over barring at times lol but i can deal, check my exhaust mods in my signiture, the whistle is even audible while ideling as soon as the truck starts the whistle comes out its really sweet

Are you sure you have no exhaust leaks?

Mine whistles very loud also, im not sure if the cross over is factory, its small but it does not have any of the ripples in the metal from when it was being bent, but the down pipe lookes flat in some spots for some reason, i dont know for sure if they are factory or not.

Sounds like you might have an aftermarket cross over pipe, that is if its mandrel bent. But i think you have the stock down pipe which is a huge restriction even for the stock gm turbos, i would suggest getting a 4in diamond eye kit with the 3in down pipe or something similar. The larger free flowing exhaust will help the turbo breath like it should. what are you running for an intake? How are you only getting 12psi? are you still using the waste gate actuator that came with the turbo?

I found the down pipe and cross over on ebay for about 125 with shipping, it says the cross over is 2.25 inchs and the down pipe is 3 inches does that sound right and it made by flowmaster

That should make a great improvement and then go 4in after the down pipe, you will love how it sounds. You can get a complete diamond eye kit turbo back with dp and 5in tip for under 300

Im running a 6 inch single stack and it sound great, i also see people turning their heads, to look and see what they are hearing, but i will go with the flow master stuff and see how that works.

How long have you run the turbo? make sure the wheels are spinning freely, spin the intake compressor wheel and make sure it still spins a little bit before stopping, so its doesnt have a lot of resistance.

The HX40WII with a 10-blade turbine was boosting by 1200rpm when we first put it on, and would expect it to get better after its broken in. The 12-blade turbine should spool even faster. The HX40 will flow through the wheel itself better than the GM turbo, so it wont restrict as much as soon as the wastegate closes.

I just noticed that the cross over and down pipe i have been looking at is for a 1995 to 1998, can someone tell me if the down pipe and cross over for a 95 is different than a 94 i have a 1994

Back