• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I think I'm going to do it...

North Maine

Merchant Mariner
Reaction score
I've been looking for performance ECM's for my 6.5, and I'm shocked, I've always admired Heath's products and service, but it seems that he is almost always more expensive, and this time he is actually CHEAPER!! I've looked at the Wester's ECM, SSDiesel (now i find out its just a rebadged westers...), Hyper Performance (never heard of this one??), Kennedy, and Heath. The only modded 6.5 I've ever been in was Turbine Doc's, and I like it, though he has a diff. turbo so y'know, that effects everything. Regardless, I think its time, and I'm pretty sure its gonna be Heath.

I'm with Heath till I started moding the truck.
1st, the V2.0 Max-e-Tork, then the HP4, and now the GL4 (waiting for my mitsu turbo for the perfect couple :drool5: ).

I had few customers asking for Kennedy reflash, and they are happy with it. I drove myself the trucks after they get the kennedy reflash : good job!.
John is easy to talk with.

I tried to get some info about the wester's chips, but I had the unpleasant feeling that I was sometimes boring Lindon :skep:, so I ended forgetting about Wester's----

It's a good surprise that Bill's chips & PCM are coming less expensive, just may be the core charges should decrease? ;)

Both John, Bill are very pleasant to talk with, they stand behind their products, and they sell really good stuff.

You can't be wrong with both of them---

It's a good surprise that Bill's chips & PCM are coming less expensive, just may be the core charges should decrease? ;)

I just checked and the price is up $10, but the core charge is cut in half.

So, is the HP4 gone now? All I saw was the GL4 (and the economy one).

I've been wanting a Heath ECM since I got the truck, still haven't saved up the money. But they keep getting better, so maybe waiting is good.

If I understand correctely, the GL4 is an improved HP4 with longer glow cycle---
I'm a lot happy with mine, and I believe Slim mitsu turbo will do wonder with it---
send them your F PCM and have it reflashed to GL4, that avoids core charge that way ;)

I've thought about doing that, but I can't be without my truck for long. How long do you think I'd be without a truck?

Honestly I don't know.
For my own, shipping delays from States to New Caledonia are about a week via Fedex, so a lot faster for you
You should call Bill, or Ian and the team to arrange with them.
I bet they can do the things fast, but maybe after bonneville event should be better---

If you don't mind waiting, I'll be able to tell you, cuz that's what I'm gonna do, I have 2 cores, so I'm going to just send the "F" to him so I can avoid the core charge. I can let you know what the turn around time is. I talked to them on the phone yesterday and they have the GL4, GLT, and the GLE. Performance, Towing, Economy. In that order. I didn't get an answer on what was different aside from glow time on the GL4, but i think it might have a TC Lockup involved?

Check your salvage yards for a core. I got one for $75 so I could keep my original 'F' PCM. If memory serves right, I think it was less than a week for turn around from MN to WA.

While I'm am far from an expert on the subject you might want to consider the fact that you are also running wvo. One of the warnings I remember reading said something to the effect that wvo and chipped engines don't play nice together. The individual warned that it will shorten the engine life and he listed the reason why but I can't recall what it was.
So again, you might want to weigh that into your decision. Good luck and keep up posted.

While I'm am far from an expert on the subject you might want to consider the fact that you are also running wvo. One of the warnings I remember reading said something to the effect that wvo and chipped engines don't play nice together. The individual warned that it will shorten the engine life and he listed the reason why but I can't recall what it was.
So again, you might want to weigh that into your decision. Good luck and keep up posted.

The prob w/ veg is fuel starvation. That is why you need to do the ftb mod and upgrade to a ho lift pump. Veg will only hurt the IP if it is too thick.

I ran veg and a chip for 20k miles before I cracked a 2nd head. The 6.5L is coming out now, though.

PS...chip for sale if anyone wants it. I also have a 96+ OBD II ECU for sale if anyone needs a core. I can send it directly to Heath if you want to save on shipping. :thumbsup:

Back