• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I think I might have a virus

Will

Boobies make me happy
Reaction score
But I'm not 100% sure. The G/F was using Internet Explorer to check her Myspace/Facebook stuff when all the sudden this stuff started popping up about Antivirus 2009. I can't go to any sites other then the homepage on IE because IE has blocked them and I get this message

Internet Explorer Warning - visiting this web site may harm your computer!

Most likely causes:
The website contains exploits that can launch a malicious code on your computer
Suspicious network activity detected
There might be an active spyware running on your computer

What you can try:

Activate Antivirus 2009 for secure Internet surfing (Recommended).

Check your computer for viruses and malware.

More information

I have AVG on here and ran it but it didn't catch anything. Only thing I have downloaded was 3 songs last night.

Any suggestions on what to check?

Hi Will

DO NOT download WinAntiVirus 2009 !!!!

Go to www.superantispyware.com and download the program. Install it, update it, and then you need to turn off your system restore and scan your computer.

Run a complete scan, not a quick scan.

Turn your system restore back on.

Post back here to let me know what happens.. that should fix you up, but if not, there are other things we can do.

Jim

That one embeds itself into so many places, it is a pain to remove. My sister-in-law had that on her PC and my normal suite of cleanup programs could not remove it (Spybot Search & Destroy, Adaware, anti-spyware software that comes with Yahoo's toolbar, HiJack This, and housecall.trendmicro.com). I found another program which did and added to my list: Malwarebytes Antimalware

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Last edited:
X2 for Malware bytes, it's the best to use IMO. It's very easy, quick, precise and very deadly to these types of issues!

Things to remember:

A] Not all spyware removal tools are created equal.

- This is not to say that one is better than the other, only that none of them catch everything. When you find that one works on a specific type of spyware, use it - don't sit and wish that others will, also.
- I like and use both Adaware and Spybot: Search and Destroy. However, neither of them work well on this particular infection. Use either SuperAntiSpyware or MalwareBytes. Heck, use both.

B] - Treat the Cause, not the symptoms

- Malware hides in the strangest places. On purpose. If you don't get rid of all traces, then it comes back. This particular infection likes to hide in your System-Restore points, so in order to rid yourself of it, you have to shut off system restore, you MAY have to boot up in safe mode, scan with an effective tool, restart in normal mode, scan again, and then re-enable System Restore.
- Trying to do it faster, with less work, or with an ineffective tool and you'll be like the guys that says "boy, I hope this infection isn't AIDS... I had a heck of a time getting over that one." This infection really IS the gift that keeps on giving, and the longer it sits on your PC, the more places it will hide. You need to keep scaning until your scanners don't find anything left.

C] - Only download tools you trust.

- Here's the thing: there is NO WAY that any reputable tool will ask you to download it to fix your computer. If you get a pop-up saying "You have been infected by THIS, so go to such-and-such a site and download THIS TOOL, stop, take a deep breath, and think... you are about to follow the directions given to you by a burglar. On how to get rid of burglars.
- The fact that you have a pop-up IS the problem.

This includes security pop-ups that look like your Security Centre (Windows XP firewall stuff)... one of the worst ones out there at the moment tries to get you to download a tool from defender-review.com... don't do it. If Microsoft wants you to download a tool, it will be from Microsoft.com.

Oh, and a few more things...

D] - keep backups of your data, on another drive.

- These days, it's just TOO cheap and convenient to buy a portable drive for backing up your data - for under $100, you can easily have all your files in 2 places.

- If you get a BAD infection, the only real recourse you have is to Nuke-'n-Pave... wipe your computer and re-install your OS and Applications.. giving you a fresh start.

- Every infection you get can be cumulative; many of these malware attacks replace seldon-used files in your system, looking to hide there in disguise. Removing the malware removes these files, and eventually, their absence can become important to your system.

E] Update your Scanning Tools regularly!!

- The cretins that build Malware don't sleep... neither can you. It's a constant game of cat-and-mouse, with the good guys always playing catch-up to the bad guys. If your scanners are out-of date, then they may not recognize the new malware.

F] Know the Tools and their limitations

F1 - There are 2 categories of tools: Active Defenders and Scanners. Active Defenders are running all the time, and act to prevent this crap from sneaking into your computer. They give up some efficiency in order to operate in the background while you are doing your normal tasks, without slowing down your PC. Scanners only operate when they're asked to scan something, but are often more efficient at finding things because you have stopped doing stuff and let them scan every file.
- Adaware, Spybot:S&D are Active Defenders. Malware Bytes is a scanner. SuperAntispyware is a hybrid.

F2 - Some tools scan for Viruses. Others scan for Malware. So far, this discussion has been about Malware scanners. AntiVirus tools are essential, too. Free ones include AVGfree, Kapersky AV, AVir. They do a pretty good job. Commercial ones include McAfee, Norton, and TrendMicro (PC-cillin). They do a somewhat better job than the free ones, on the whole.

- They also come in Active vs Scanners. Active ones run and are resident all the time, and you must keep them updated. Scanners run from another location, over the web, and keep themselves updated. The best scanner, IMHO, is found at housecall.antivirus.com (Trendmicro) - it's free, comprehensive, and will actually CLEAN your infections, where most online scanners will only tell you that you have a problem.

G] Create a Bootable A/V 'Rescue Disk' CD

If you get a rootkit virus, or if some malware prevents you from running your normal A/V tools, you're hooped. Unless, of course, you can boot your machine from CD and happen to have a handy Bootable A/V 'Rescue Disk'. Personally, I have 2 of them in my 'gotta-have' toolbox... one by Kapersky Labs and one by Bit-Defender... there are others, but I like these.

To make a bootable CD, you will need to have software that lets you burn an ISO image to CD, then you can download a free ISO image and burn your CD. Label it, make sure you know how to set your PC up so that it boots from CD and you're set. If the unexpected happens, you're ready.

Free software locations:

ImgBurn - for burning ISO images to CD, if your current CD-burning software doesn't support burning ISO images to CD. (just click on this one if you need it, then choose a download site.)

Kapersky ISO (right-click and 'Save As')

Bit-Defender ISO (right-click and 'Save As')

The process is simple: Download the ISO, burn it to a CD, label it as an Emergency Rescue disk, test it to make sure it boots, updates, and scans, then put it away in case you need it someday.

Hope this helps someone!!

Jim

Last edited:
thanks for the info.i ran the superspyware,it took 40 min and says it found 291 threats.does that sound right.

Our system at work got infected by AV2009 it really sucks. Our IT dept says its one of worst that they have seen and been keeping them busy. I have used Malwaye bytes run it several times I also reccomend running some of these programs in windows safe mode only start needed programs run an AV and Malware several times then restart windows normally

Good luck

Jim,...

You've posted some pretty good items for all to use! I think we should make your instructions/recommendations a sticky so people can see what they should do to make it most efficient and safe for their system. Just my thoughts.

thanks for the info.i ran the superspyware,it took 40 min and says it found 291 threats.does that sound right.

Yeah, the first time you run it, it will find LOTS of stuff... most of which are harmless cookies.

Here's another simple tip; clean your cache on a regular basis... mine flushes every time I quit FireFox or IE, but I also have CrapCleaner installed on the recycle bin, and it kills everything. Lots of malware will sit in the cache, and won't run until your next reboot or login, when a BHO will activate it. Flush your cache, and that can't happen.

Virus defense is a little like making good power/reliability out of a 6.5TD... there isn't any one thing that does it, but if you do all the little things, it works just great.

Jim,...

You've posted some pretty good items for all to use! I think we should make your instructions/recommendations a sticky so people can see what they should do to make it most efficient and safe for their system. Just my thoughts.

Thanks, Matt... I did that. Anything you want to add to the pile, feel free - all of us are smarter than any of us!!

Well I did as you guys suggested and DL Malwarebytes and ran a complete scan. only came up with one item. I also deleted the songs I DL and did a system restore. So far all is well. I will continue to scan and check that though. Thanks!

Back