• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I put gasoine in the tank- and this is what happened

Sparky8370

Do chickens have large talons
Reaction score
I went to get gas to mix the other day. I put the can on the ground then I heard a dog in the car next to me. So I started talking to the dog and next thing you I look at the pump and see 9 gallons pumped already and look down at an empty can. I turned around and sure enough, just out of habit I put it in the tank after I distracted myself playing with that dog. So I pushed my truck to the corner of the lot and had someone bring me fuel cans and bring me to the auto parts store. I bought a holley 110gph fuel pump, some fittings and some hose. Oh and a thing that had a cigarette adapter at one end and battery clips on the other. I got back to my truck and cut off the cig adapter and wired the clips to the pump. I took the supply hose off the filter housing and attached it to the fuel pump. I pumped it all out until it was just spurting. Then I put 10 gallons of diesel in and pumped it until it came out clean and steady. I put everything back together and drove over to the fuel pumps and it died. That's ok, I planned on that. I was waiting for the air bubble to get to the filter housing so I could bleed it without losing a filters worth of fuel.

It actually runs better now. It was smoking at idle a lot. Now it has to be idling a lot longer. I'm thinking the fuel pressure is slowly leaking down.

Friend of mine's wife did the opposite, put diesel in a gas truck. Thing ran like crap that tank, lol.

Don't know that I would have admitted that but sounds like you went about the solution the right way.

Jay, good thing you realized what happened when you did. You would have had one unhappy truck.

That has always been a fear of mine. Sometimes I stop and get lawnmower gas and the diesel pump is right there on the end. Since I am pulling the trailer with the mower on it it is easier for me to stop on the end of the pumps. I figure one day I will try to fill the jugs then reach up and top the truck off, being that is the way I use to do my gasser.

Sounds like you did the right thing for sure. A couple of years ago I had an uncle that was traveling and his wife pumped 3 or 4 gallons of gas into the tank. If I remember correctly he just tried to top it off with diesel and tried to run it. I know he ended up getting a mechanic to fix it. Being that he is not on my Christmas card list I never did ask him what the outcome was.

huge fear of mine.......until this truck the only thing I've ever had are gas vehicles. Worried that one of these days I'm going to accidently grab the wrong nozzle.

Back