• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I Need Brake/power Steering Help!!!

HoytBows

Reaction score
Not sure if anybody out there knows a whole lot about the brakes on my 03 Crew Cab Duramax but I guess this is worth a shot and might save me some time and trouble...

Under the hood is the master cylinder which bolts up to the hydraulic booster for the power steering. There is brake fluid, or residual leaking from the small hole between the brake cylinder and the hydraulic booster. Its enough to leave spots on the street and dirty up the frame in the front driverside wheel well. I took it apart and from what I can tell that port is supposed to be there so fluid can drain.

My brakes work, but sometimes act funny. If i spike them quick it seems the pedal wants to jump back at my foot for a second.????? I assumed maybe there was air in the lines but im not sure thats the case anymore.

After reading as much as I could find I was informed that the hydraulic booster will mess with your brakes if your power steering fluid is low. Well after looking closer it was low and it is leaking as well...

I am a little lost and the guys at the chevy dealership just want me to bring it to them along with all my $$$$$. I am pretty mechanically inclined and know when i can or cant fix something myself.

Anybody been down this road before? Do i have two different problems, one with brake fluid and the other with my power steering leaking?? HELP!!

Thanks for reading guys

Chad

The main question is: Is your brake fluid actually leaking? How many miles are on your truck? because as your brakes wear, the fluid level in the reservoir drops to keep your brake pads close to the rotor to maintain brake feel. Now from my experience, the hydro boost unit is more likely to leak. A problem with the booster will also cause some pedal feel issues like a spongy or bouncy pedal. Also if you have any doubts as to which is actually leaking, go get some leak tracing dye and add it to one of the fluid reservoirs, that will be the definate way to tell.

I believe it is coming from my hydraulic booster. Actually I'm almost positive.

It makes more sense now that you tell me that too.

I have a 160k on my truck so it doesnt suprise me that stuff is starting to go.

Is it a big pain to replace the hydraulic booster? How do i know for sure if it is shot?

As far as leaks go, just add some tracer dye to the power steering fluid, then you'll know for sure that its coming from the booster.

As far as the pedal feel concerne, all you can do for checking that is interperating how it feels. If it feels bad then it more than likely is.

Back