• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I need a exhaust

Michaeljp86

EVIL GENIUS
Reaction score
On my jimmy the exhaust needs some work. I think Ill cut out the catalitic converter. Is there a muffler anyone recommends? It has a cherrybomb turbo 2 on it now. I liked it, Id like a low rumble but dont want anything loud.

Magnaflows sound good on 6's. Not too raspy/ricey, just nice and deep. I would definitely cut the cat.

I wouldnt cut the cat out. Those 4.3's need some kind of back pressure to maintain their low end tq, to which those engines were known for.

Magnaflows sound decent.

I wouldnt cut the cat out. Those 4.3's need some kind of back pressure to maintain their low end tq, to which those engines were known for.

Magnaflows sound decent.

This thing is a torque monster, almost like a diesel. What about a restrictive muffler since I want it quiet? Its the stock cat so id thinks its got to be plugged up.

My x wife and I bought an 04 ZR2 Blazer brand new. A programmer really woke that thing up. We cut off the entire stock exhaust system and went with a Magnaflow system. That year had 2 cats on it. We got rid of both and replaced with one Magnaflow cat and 1 large muffler. It sounded great at idle but it was too raspy for me while driving. She loved it though so thats all that mattered. It made the check engine light keep coming on due to not enough back pressure.

If you think its clogged, rip it out or replace it.

I always thought that was all hype about low end torque too until I saw it for myself. I had a complete Magnaflow system on my Ford to include the cats. I got tired of the drone at highway speeds so I ended up welding stock mufflers back up there. The very day I drove it off the lot, I couldnt believe how much low end torque I'd gained. The stock mufflers made that thing so much more punchy down low. It was an instant difference. So, after that, I've never been a real big fan of loud systems that claim all these huge increases in power.

I always thought that was all hype about low end torque too until I saw it for myself. I had a complete Magnaflow system on my Ford to include the cats. I got tired of the drone at highway speeds so I ended up welding stock mufflers back up there. The very day I drove it off the lot, I couldnt believe how much low end torque I'd gained. The stock mufflers made that thing so much more punchy down low. It was an instant difference. So, after that, I've never been a real big fan of loud systems that claim all these huge increases in power.

I agree 100%, Ive seen open exhaust so many times cause the engine to be a nutless wonder. I cant say about MPG, maybe it was better on gas. I was just at a demolition derby and all the cars have headers out the hood. Its funny how they are so weak they almsot stall.

I built a muffler for a lawn mower that was more restrictive then teh stock tin can muffler. That 3.8hp cut like a 5hp.

go to jegs.com and look up a dynomax system. I do believe that on a full cat-back dynomax, you can get a $75 rebate before 8-31.

I agree on the 4.3L, greatest little thing! tow stuff with mine, anything heavy, stays in 4th direct, and if light or on flat, 5th over can handle it.

go to jegs.com and look up a dynomax system. I do believe that on a full cat-back dynomax, you can get a $75 rebate before 8-31.

I agree on the 4.3L, greatest little thing! tow stuff with mine, anything heavy, stays in 4th direct, and if light or on flat, 5th over can handle it.

I dont really want to put much money into it. When I did the head gaskets this last winter there was alot of wear on the cylinders. I want to rebuild it one of these days with a good intake manifold and probably headers with all stainless exhaust. Make it into a good MPG rig and in our michigan winters you cant pass up a good 4wd road rig. Mine idles so low you dont even know its running.

IMO the 4.3L is the best gas engine ever built. Its built heavy duty and runs for forever. I pulled way to much weight with mine. I wonder if you could rig up the TCC mod on the 4L60E, that would save alot of gas.

I think a turbo 4.3 in a fullsize truck would be cool, as much or more power then a 350 but better gas milage.

Back