• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

i hope lovebugs go extinct

jackh

Reaction score
after driving through east texas i had about 1 quintillion love bugs on the front of my truck. i should have taken a picture before i washed it but every time i thought of it i didn't have a camera. to put it into perspective, i drove 6 hrs round trip and had to stop 3 times on the way there and twice on the way back to clean the bugs off my windshield bc i couldn't see out of it...

so today i washed the front of my truck twice, then sprayed on a coat of rain-x bug and tar remover. i let it set, sprayed it off then washed the area again. i repeated this 3 times and i still have little oilly gut marks on my hood where bugs splattered.

how the hell do i get these off? please dont tell me clay bar...

rain-x bug and tar remover is pretty weak. Go up to your local carwash and ask the detal guys for some bug&tar remover. I worked at a car wash years ago and we had some stuff that would take off damn near ANYthing

Purple Power (sounds deceiving) Tire cleaner. Spray on the front, let it set for a couple of mins, then grap 2 or 3 used dryer sheets and it should come right off. Works for me at least..

rain-x bug and tar remover is pretty weak. Go up to your local carwash and ask the detal guys for some bug&tar remover. I worked at a car wash years ago and we had some stuff that would take off damn near ANYthing

well good thing it was only $5. i used half the bottle....

do you remember the name of the stuff you used?

Purple Power (sounds deceiving) Tire cleaner. Spray on the front, let it set for a couple of mins, then grap 2 or 3 used dryer sheets and it should come right off. Works for me at least..

spray tire cleaner on the hood of my truck?? where do i buy it?

Thats what I do. My local Autoparts has it. It says Purple Power on the front. It's purple fluid also..:)

You may want to check your radiator and transmission cooler while you are at it. Those damned bugs can really plug up everything and eventually can cause major overheating problems if you don't get them off.

If you let the dead bugs solidify in there you may have to take apart the whole stack and reverse spray every heat exchanger in there to get them off.

I ended up getting an RV bug screen for my truck and use it whenever I take a cross-country trip. The mesh size is like a window screen. It doesn't stop every single bug, but it sure keeps all the big one from getting through and plugging my radiator.

I read somewhere that WD-40 will get the bugs off, but I've never used it.

In the past, I have used diesel fuel to remove road tar from the paint without any problems.

I heard about the dryer sheets several years ago when I was living in Louisiana. I tried it but never seemed to do anything for me. I was always worried about scratching up the paint with swirl marks.

I also heard you can spray the front end with Pam before a long trip and they'll wipe right off.

ya I think I'm gonna throw a bottle if pam in my toolbox now.

So regardless of what I use, what do I scrub with? Terry cloth? MF?

Windex works pretty good for taking bugs off. Just spray it on heavily before you start washing and they usually come off pretty easily. You could also try one of those lather things for in the shower.

i think one of those deals would put swirls all over my paint. if i had a white truck id try it but not with my black truck lol

I personally wouldnt run Windex. That stuff strips the wax and eventually the clear coat off the paint. You wanna strip all the old wax off the truck, wipe it down with Windex. I'm not saying it wont work but the ammonia isnt supposed to be real good for the paint.

I take back what I said. It isn't purple power, and I can't tell you the name because the gallon I have, the label is tore off. When I get to the parts store for some more I'll be sure to post up what I use.

ANYTHING you use is going to strip the wax (Windex, bug and tar, etc). Also, Windex WILL NOT do anything to the clear coat.

Get some Dawn Power Dissolver (in the household cleaning section). Spray it and let it work. May take a couple of applications. Scrub with either a mit, cotton towel, bug sponge, microfiber, etc.

I personally wouldnt run Windex. That stuff strips the wax and eventually the clear coat off the paint. You wanna strip all the old wax off the truck, wipe it down with Windex. I'm not saying it wont work but the ammonia isnt supposed to be real good for the paint.

I'm good friends with several body shop owners and thats what they use, even on their own vehicles. Yes it probably would eventually strip the wax off but odds are that there isn't really any wax on there if the bugs are stuck that bad.

Back