• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I have an '04, not an '04.5 right?

12ga diesel

Jack of all, Master of none
Reaction score
Truck was built 10-03, so was the engine. So I'm guessing it is an '04 model being built before the first of the year 2004. Just wanted to make sure since as I am looking at a few of the vendors sites, and there is a split of the '04 model year (03-04 and 04.5-07).

The one site said the badge on the side of the engine should read 325 hp rating for a '04.5, and 315hp for a '04. Well my tag says 305 hp at 2900rpm. So I am guessing I have an 04, right?

Attachments

• cummins tag.jpg
    cummins tag.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 12
If it says 305, you have an 04 HO model.

Okay, cool. That is what it said on the sticker from the dealer (not the original, the used truck stick with all the options) and it said it was the HO engine, so at first I thought that was the '04.5. Thanks for clearing that up.

I figured it would. I posted it, a few days ago on here, and haven't had a reply on it. So I thought I would ask a guy that would more then likely know.:thumbsup:

I'm sorry brother, I didn't see it down there.

We really need to make that VIN check up here in the Dodge section, I don't even notice it down there.

Lemme see what I can find for ya.

My buddy is on vacation, so it'll be a few days.

We really need to make that VIN check up here in the Dodge section, I don't even notice it down there.

Hey don't worry about it. I didn't know it was you who did or had the connections to do the VIN check, but I should have known. Any questions I have, you know I'll throw them out to you on here.

Here are the sheets. If you want the actual ones, just PM me an email and I'll send ya the file....

Slide1-21.jpg

Slide2-21.jpg

Since it's a 305 it's an early 04. The 04.5 is 325 hp.
You got the best of the bunch. No EGR, No CAT.

Done.

Good suggestion.

Thanks Rich.

Since it's a 305 it's an early 04. The 04.5 is 325 hp.
You got the best of the bunch. No EGR, No CAT.
Thats what I hear from just about everyone I talk to about it. When I had it in the shop getting the FASS pump installed, that was the first thing the guy said to me when I told him it was an early '04. He said "Man, you got the best of the bunch, you should hold on to this one." I love the engine, as good if not better then any of the 3 D'maxs I have had. Though, I love my '06 LLY. I do really wish I had kept that truck as I did everything I wanted to that truck. Outside of a few parts things on the truck that have had to be replaced (U-joints upfront and now the rear U-joints, and a clogged FASS filter this winter) the truck has been worked hard my me and I have not had any problems with it. Even the one thing that I had concerns about, the trans, has held up well (knock on wood). I run the Smarty Jr. tuner on it and they say it is a "trans safe tuner", but I try not to beat the piss out of it. I won't say I never do it, but I sure try to keep it alive until I save up the funds and get the torque converter swaped out that can hold up to some more punishment.
sorry never seen your vin posted:thumbsup:

No worries Michael, I was just curious which '04 I was looking at as I didn't have as much knowledge about the Cummins as I did about the Duramax back then. I have done as much research on this engine as I could have to educate myself on it.

Back