• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

I did it!

MD Welding

Reaction score
I finally convinced myself to get a tuner. I picked up the edge race after reading about it. I liked how you could run it with the DPF on and still have the power and it came with all the gauges and stuff. Well I didn't even get off the phone with Nate from Preformance Truck Parts before I had a new 4" MBRP comming with it. I couldn't resist! The tuner came in on a Friday and I had that installed right away of course. I ran on level 3 all weekend and tried level 4. The exhaust came on Monday and of course had that installed right away also. I can't believe the difference a little thing on the dash can make. It's like a new truck and really fun to drive again. The tank of fuel before the tuner I got 13.5 mpg and the tank after I got 13.6 mpg. I would like to think it would be better but we all know how much heavier the foot is after we do something like that. Even getting on it I was semi pleased. After all I didn't buy it for the milage. It's running fine and has plenty of power, no lights, sounds ALOT better and all seems good. My only regret is, why did I wait so long? :mad2: I can't wait until I can take a road trip and check the milage better. Prior to the tuner I was at 10 to 13 mpg around town. I saw 16 on the highway once with about 3K in the bed.

Thats great Mike....Just keep in mind that level 3 is about your 'safe' limit for a stock trans. I wouldnt be flogging it at every light. I know its hard sometimes but if you want your trans to last a while, treat it well, but I'm sure you already know that. I ran Edge products when I bought my 04 LLY 5 years ago. I had a million problems with all 3 boxes I went through. I hope they've fixed their problems.

That's cool to hear Mike.:thumbsup: I'm guessing the exhaust is a turbo back, or are you still running the DPF with the tuner? Be good to that tranny. It usually takes about 150-200 miles for the trans to learn your driving and shifting patterns. I took this aproach when I had the Predator on my '06 LLY. Started it on the 65hp tune, ran that for about 250 miles. Next moved up to the 85hp tune and did the same thing. Actually ran the 85hp tune for about 1000 miles before making the jump up to the 120hp tune. Ran the 120 tune for about 5000 miles before returning the truck to the 85hp tune that I ran until I sold it. Letting the trans work with a tune before bumping up, in my experience, seems to make it last longer. I never did limp my trans. Not saying this is the be all, end all, just my .02.

I have to go easy on it. It's my work truck and I need something reliable. I hate to admit it but I am old enough to know better and they can only take so much.

I went with a downpipe back exhaust.

If I keep it for 4 years that will be a benchmark for me.

I would like to do SOMETHING with my 08 GMC 4 door Dually, 11 miles to the gallon. I had an Edge Juice hooked in until the dealer pulled it out, it regenerated CONSTANTLY...
Now it has NO POWER/ stock power. Is there a better Programmer and exhaust that could give me the power my King Ranch had with the Edge ???
Like my truck, hate the DPF.....

I would like to do SOMETHING with my 08 GMC 4 door Dually, 11 miles to the gallon. I had an Edge Juice hooked in until the dealer pulled it out, it regenerated CONSTANTLY...
Now it has NO POWER/ stock power. Is there a better Programmer and exhaust that could give me the power my King Ranch had with the Edge ???
Like my truck, hate the DPF.....

Yes, there are lots of tunes that really wake these things up. It depends on you and what you're looking for and how much power you want to make. Maybe start your own thread in the tuning section for many reviews of excellent tuning systems that seem to work well with these trucks.

I am not overly concerned with cost, just don't want to do the changes and have the dealer , who is one of my better customers rip my head off, for trying to get this truck to act like a truck not a cadillac.

The Edje Race and no dpf. I get around 13 city and 16 highway. I can't complain about that. I can also break the back end loose! Nothing is cooler than doing that in a dually buddy!

I agree I put more tires on the back of my 04 Super Duty, this thing is DEAD...
Does the DPF pipe come with the Edge Race or should I get teh Turbo Back, I am getting ready to do a quick run to Wisconsin and want to make the change before going.

My Edge Juice left me in limp mode two hours away from home on a Sunday night with a car trailer attached......... I was sooooooooo "upset" !!! Was ready for fuel and a match...

Which is exactly why I traded in on a classic LBZ vs the new body style. I dont have those regen issues.

How much power do you want to run?

i bought an edge evolution....loved the power....hated the constant regen....sold edge evolution...bought edge race...will be buying 4" turbo back soon and kissing the dpf and kitty bye bye....hsould have done it a long time a go

Back