• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hydrogen

I'm not gonna lie, I'm tempted to try it, but I don't think benifits will be that great, even using all 3 generators, especially when you consider how much air our diesels eat, the ratio of o2 to H will be sky high.

Well I will post results when mine is put in. One of the guys I work with is making them and I will be a test subject for him for the "diesel market". I know mine is not a 6.5 but I hope the results will work for most of us.. Except you LLY/LMM guys to many sensors and emissions stuff...

Pure and simple thermodynamic Snake Oil.

IMHO, YMMV, YYY....
You got that right!

It takes a lot of energy to break down water from H2O into H2 + O2. Once you figure that energy requirement, you will be WAY NEGATIVE in any gains you might expect to get.

Sorry, but NO FREE LUNCH here!

I was gonna mention that senior year physics kept chiming in that it's physically impossible to gain anything, but oh well.

I know there is a lot info about this. I am free test subject on this to see what it can do. I know of a few people with these units on and there are some gains in MPG...

It would be snake oil if you were going to be using the Hydrogen produced as a fuel replacement... as a combustion catalyst, however, the equation is markedly different.

Reducing the activation energy of the thermodynamic event can get you to a cleaner, more complete burn, and that can net some measurable gains in efficiency, with relatively little input, energy-wise.

I prefer to suspend judgment until somebody tries it out and gathers some quantifiable data with a 6.5TD...

After all, propane is a relatively low-heat gas and shouldn't yield big efficiencies used as a fumigation agent, either, but it does, in a direct-injection environment. The amount of stress the system will put on the alternator is relatively little, all things considered - in this day and age of high-power stereos and subs - and so I think it's worth a try.

There's a company in Ontario, called Hy-Drive Technologies, that has been marketing a larger unit for trucks and busses for 3 years, with some fairly credible data. If GM had all the damn answers, we wouldn't have PMD issues, TD and Slim wouldn't be building a better turbo, and a spring on your wastegate wouldn't be necessary.

Please report back what you find out, Clark!

I think it's important to remember that this is a supplemental fuel supply to enhance burn as opposed to an alternative supply. Because the hydrogens and oxygen are being converted from a small volume of liquid to a massive quantity of gas, the energy needed is not very much.
I have to admit I am interested but still not convinced. Guess the proof will be in the pudding. I commend Clark20ry for giving it a shake. Please keep us posted...
I would give the HOH concept more credence than something like the "Magnatizer" the NAPAs' are selling up here!

It would be snake oil if you were going to be using the Hydrogen produced as a fuel replacement... as a combustion catalyst, however, the equation is markedly different........

............. If GM had all the damn answers, we wouldn't have PMD issues, TD and Slim wouldn't be building a better turbo, and a spring on your wastegate wouldn't be necessary.

Well put Jim!! :yesnod:

It would be snake oil if you were going to be using the Hydrogen produced as a fuel replacement... as a combustion catalyst, however, the equation is markedly different.

Conceded.

Yes, please do. I am curious.

But be sure to have immaculate records, this interwebby thing has sharp edges...:)

this is turning is a very interesting subject. I gotta admit what happens it the middle of winter before everything warms up or completely freezes? I mean you are starting out with pure water. can't wait for the results though.

this is turning is a very interesting subject. I gotta admit what happens it the middle of winter before everything warms up or completely freezes? I mean you are starting out with pure water. can't wait for the results though.

The only problem with that is in Phoenix it don't get very cold... :sad: well for me atleast. You people that actually have weather might be a different story.

This setup is a 3 unit canister mounted in front of the radiator. It does have an on and off switch. What is taking so long right now is a controller currently being designed and built to adjust amperage for consumption and a potentiometer in the cab to adjust output for variable needs in driving... I can't wait. I will give this info to you know so It won't look like I am cooking my numbers. I get around 17-18 mpg mixed driving in town. I am not sure about highway road trips I know I get well over 20 mpg I need to get a solid number on that one...

The only problem with that is in Phoenix it don't get very cold... :sad: well for me atleast. You people that actually have weather might be a different story.

I didn't even look where you were from. I hope that it doesn't freeze down there or we're all in trouble:yikes:

Last edited:
right up there with "hell freezing over"... I played baseball down in Phoenix one fall... ugh ... 108* every day. Was a balmy 62* when we flew out of Calgary. Thought I was gonna die...

Back