• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hydroboost/powersteering question...

Odlaw

Redneck
Reaction score
Hey Guys, having no experience with a hydroboost, I was wondering if I'm about to start having problems with mine. The last three days - always on a cold start up, I have no power assist on the steering or brakes for about 15-20 seconds. Checked the fluid - it was maybe 1-2 oz. low. It's been cold here this past week (I know, whimpy flat-landers think anything below 35 is cold :D) ..heck, if it drops 1 degree below freezing for more than 10 minutes the local news flashes ticker tape messages across the bottom of the screen warning "Hard freeze warning in affect tonight".

The fluid appears that it could use a change - it's probably never been done.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Smitty

If both steering and brakes are effected I would think pump problem. I see -35 where I live and both work good, so it is not the cold. I would try changing out the fluid first. Is the pump making any noise? Any air bubbles in the fluid after driving for a while? Not familiar with the belts back in 92, is it one big serpentine belt driving everything?

Pump is very quiet, no bubbles and the serpentine belt is fairly new. I watched the shaft to make sure it was spinning with the pulley.

I've been wanting to change the fluid anyway - just didn't know the best way to do it. Any ideas on that would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Smitty

I've changed my fluid at least once. Mine has started doing the exact same thing this winter when it's below 0. Probably not even 10 seconds, but just enough to scare you when you throw it in reverse and start backing down the driveway. Usually what happens is I suddenly realize I can't steer, stab the brakes and get nothing, swear, shake the wheel, stab the brakes hard and stop, then it frees up.

Seem to recall something being said about shaft breaking within impeller . Dont know if that could giive your symptons or not. When mine went it was sudden & no more ps or brakes . Replacement was after market . It works but sometimes barely, if usiing when trying to turn wheel & truck not ,or barely moving & foot on brake. OK when moving.

To change the fluid:

Use a baster or siphon to suck the fluid from the PS reservoir.
Fill it to full.
Follow the trace of pipe/tubes from the reservoir to the master cylinder.
Take off the hose from the master cylinder that traces to the PS reservoir.
Plug the hose end with something.
Put a hose from the master cylinder to drain the old fluid.
Turn on the engine, jiggle your steering wheel lock to lock and fluid should come out (May be easier if you jack the front tires).
Keep filling the reservoir until you get clear fluid.

There was a write up about it somewhere (you probably know) but I could not find the link.

I'm not sure how well this pertains, but maybe it'll help.

My wife's car, and older BMW, has just experienced a total lack of power steering. Normally, the car is in our garage, but it sat out overnight - so the car got really cold. I called the dealership where I purchased it and they told me it's a common thing - it just means it's time to replace the steering fluid. By the way, it was not an actual dealer - but a local place that specializes in German cars. The owner told me he has a few older BMW's sitting on his lot right now that will require the same remedy. He said he runs into this every winter with cars that haven't had the fluid replaced in a while.

Maybe thats why I've heard to use ATF.

I did however pump my old resevoir empty and put in fresh Powersteering. I didn't go as far as to purge my lines, but that stuff was pretty crappy looking. My Lines are all rusty crusty, I'm afraid if i touch em they'll be rusty busty :)

To change the fluid:

Use a baster or siphon to suck the fluid from the PS reservoir.
Fill it to full.
Follow the trace of pipe/tubes from the reservoir to the master cylinder.
Take off the hose from the master cylinder that traces to the PS reservoir.
Plug the hose end with something.
Put a hose from the master cylinder to drain the old fluid.
Turn on the engine, jiggle your steering wheel lock to lock and fluid should come out (May be easier if you jack the front tires).
Keep filling the reservoir until you get clear fluid.

There was a write up about it somewhere (you probably know) but I could not find the link.

Thanks! Yes, I do remember reading about it awhile back but I had no luck finding it either.
I'm wondering if I should try synthetic fluid after a drain and flush.....what are you guys running up there where the REAL cold weather is?

Maybe thats why I've heard to use ATF.

I did however pump my old resevoir empty and put in fresh Powersteering. I didn't go as far as to purge my lines, but that stuff was pretty crappy looking. My Lines are all rusty crusty, I'm afraid if i touch em they'll be rusty busty :)

Matt
Is it wise to use ATF in our system..? i`ve been using clear stuff, Q- Sate..

Matt

I have NO IDEA.

I said above that when I flushed mine (partially) I put PowerSteering fluid in.

From the years (maybe local hearsay) Peopel have always put ATF into power steering, but NEVER the other way around.

I've also heard ATF run in plows, but NOT Powersteerign due to cold weather performance. HOWEVER...

I DO have Power Steering in my plow now, as Thats all I had available when the crap in my plow froze up and I needed a fast flush n fill a few hours before a storm. Been in there ever since with no problems.

It may be local hearsay about the ATF, if that sounds far fetched to you.

I would not recommend it to anyone, but if i was out of powersteering fluid and closest thing I had was ATF I would put it in.

Thanks! Yes, I do remember reading about it awhile back but I had no luck finding it either.
I'm wondering if I should try synthetic fluid after a drain and flush.....what are you guys running up there where the REAL cold weather is?

Synthetic Valvoline or synthetic redline. The point is, synthetic. Not even a problem at -35C.

Matt

Paul, awhile back, not sure which site but I was told to only use power steering fluid in these trucks. I always used ATF in my other vehicles. Leo

For PS, the only synth. are Redline, Amsoil or Royal Purple.

Unfortunately, Valvoline is no longer available.

A lot of people put in Synthetic ATF - Amsoil or Mobil1.
I heard the synthetic ATF is more resilient in cold weather.

I am in the middle of Auto-RX for my PS system now.
After that, I will do a flush.

ATF is not recommended, it will work in a pinch, but the pour point is higher than synthetic power steering fluid, especially the newer Dex VI dino variants. Check out Amsoil PSF HERE. What you might be experiencing is the fluid's inablity to deal with condensation. PSF can only handle so much moisture, after that it is susceptible to ice crystal formation which causes flow problems.

Prolly the relief valve sticking on the initial pressure spike from the cold fluid. Give it a flush, there's no real filter in there only a screen, the trash floating around in there may be causing the relief valve to stick.

Though not recomended from the factory, I've not had any problems with ATF. Chevy recomended ATF in alot of two ton trucks using the same pump. Our military runs DexVI in the HMMWV's, they have the same pump and hydroboost as our trucks.

I run hydraulic oil in my 94, since the power steering runs my hay bale spear and I sometimes use it to move tractor implements(so I dont cross contaminate the tractors hydraulic oil). It only gets down in the 20ºF range here, but have had no problems, in fact it stears easier than my other 6.5's.

I've run Delo-400 in my chevy fertilizer truck power steering for years since I use it in the engine, spreader hydraulics, and trans. I just carry one jug of oil to top off all fluids on that truck.

I agree power steering fluid, exspecially synthetic, may be better because its designed for power steering. What I'm trying to say is our power steering system is pretty primitive, and as long as it aint brake fluid you prolly wont hurt it. If ATF has the pressure additives for gear loads, additives for heat and seals and can flow through tiny ports in clutch packs at around 150-200psi normally, it should flow ok in our power steering with 1400psi.

Back