• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hydro Boost/Brake Problem

ASDadam

Reaction score
Hello all,

Today I took the hydro boost apart and replaced some O-Rings. When I put it back together the brake pedal is stuck to the floor and the power steering is hard to move. When I do move the steering wheel, the brake pedal slowly moves up and down with the steering. I have flushed the power steering with no results.

I have taken it apart twice and still getting the same results. The power steering works great, but the brake pedal just gets sucked to the floor.

Did you get a rebuild kit and replace everything in it?? There is a piston seal in it that is bad about folding over when you put the piston back in.... I have a link to the company that makes ALL the rebuild kits for everyone that does them if you need it, the kit is only about 50$, and they are in Ashville, NC.

I did get the rebuild kit. The first time I only replaced the Piston Seal as it was most likely my problem. Upon putting everything back together is when it did the brake to the floor deal. Today when I took it apart I replaced pretty much everything else but still same effect.

I have built several of them and I haven't had that trouble, did you follow the directions to recharge the pressure canister and set the peddle......

Nope, how do I do that? I did do the steering wheel to the left right thing, but as I cannot press the brake that didn't go too well.

Well the spring inside it should have pushed the peddle back out even if there isn't hydro pressure. send me a PM and I will email you the instructions that should have come with the kit..

That's the thing, there is pressure. The power steering is working great. The brake pedal is literally sucked to the floor and can't be lifted at all. When I turn the wheel it will pulse a little as I turn the wheel as if the pressure is changing slightly. I did get some instructions from MBM with their Hydro-Booster service kit but it doesn't tell me how to recharge it, at least not that I can see.

It sounds like the piston is stuck, I think you will need to take it back apart and see what is wrong, the piston & spring should push everything out without and hydro pressure at all.... you have something stuck for sure...

Thank you to all that helped but I took it apart today, really studied it and found the problem......I forgot to connect the spool assembly to the input rod and piston. As soon as I saw this I knew what I had done wrong. Power steering and braking greatly improved now that it has constant pressure.

I'm having the same problem with my 2000 Chevrolet 3500. I put the new ceiling reassembled it installed it in the truck and the power steering is extremely hard turning steering wheel in the brake pedal is stuck to the floor. I'm eating to find out how to solve the issue.

Sounds like you either left the spring out for the spool valve, or you didn't get the spool valve engaged into the yoke before you put the piston in.

Back