• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hydra-Swings

01duramax6spd

Recruit
Reaction score
I'm in the equipment discussion mood :rofl:.
Who runs hydra swings and how well do you like them? We have alsways has a self-propelled but with the price of a new one now we've tossed the idea around of getting a hydra-swing at least for a second machine and keep our old self-propelled.

Pain in the neck if you need to watch it a lot. The trick is to cut smaller than your total width which you need to do anyway so it comes out right between the pivot tracks. That way you don't have to watch it at the edge so much. Also no reverser, although lots of older swathers don't have them either. Ours was easy enough to back up with a pipe wrench if you did manage to find a chunk of old bale or something. If you have a tractor free at hay time then it may make sense. We ended up with one for a while but we always needed the tractors for spraying and cultivating and of course the rake and baler. Hell come buy our 116. It was supposed to be traded but the slow ass dealer is never gonna get around to making the deal anyway.

Interesting as I first looked at this as my first job out of vo-tech was with the Hesston Company and I was on the first run of 1000 of the 1014 Hydro swings as they were the first out with them. I thought they were neat but hey I was being paid to build them not run them<VBG>

How much for the 116?

Pain in the neck if you need to watch it a lot. The trick is to cut smaller than your total width which you need to do anyway so it comes out right between the pivot tracks. That way you don't have to watch it at the edge so much. Also no reverser, although lots of older swathers don't have them either. Ours was easy enough to back up with a pipe wrench if you did manage to find a chunk of old bale or something. If you have a tractor free at hay time then it may make sense. We ended up with one for a while but we always needed the tractors for spraying and cultivating and of course the rake and baler. Hell come buy our 116. It was supposed to be traded but the slow ass dealer is never gonna get around to making the deal anyway.

I think he was going to give us 5500 maybe for it trade in. Looks like that's about the average price on machinefinder. No side shields like many of them on there. We just rebuilt the gearbox when we quit using it first cutting last year. We were waiting on the parts and got a swather to use and just kept it. We ran it a little after that but since our big tractors only have 1000 pto and this is 540 it was easier to use the self propelled. Putting that adapter on the tractor and running at almost idle is a pain. Could have run it on the old 4000 but don't really want to. ;)

We used to run a hydro swing disc mowers. They were New Hollands, but I can't remember the model numbers. About 4 years ago we broke down and demoed a Hw 340 Self propelled and we never took it back.

The only difference in my opinion is conveniece, but I would have a hard time going back.

Hmm guess I was too high. Talked to the dealer today and he was thinking more like 3500. I was going to take some pictures of it today but then I got busy with other stuff and forgot.

Mainly I was thinking out loud but for that price I may be interested. You need some old small tractor to restore that I can trade ya :D

Hmm guess I was too high. Talked to the dealer today and he was thinking more like 3500. I was going to take some pictures of it today but then I got busy with other stuff and forgot.

Not really... Might work a part trade if you have a low priced bull like you had last year though.

We used to run a hydro swing disc mowers. They were New Hollands, but I can't remember the model numbers. About 4 years ago we broke down and demoed a Hw 340 Self propelled and we never took it back.

The only difference in my opinion is conveniece, but I would have a hard time going back.

I bet your neck loves you for it!!

Anyone have a preferance on what brand? Most guys around here run
New-Holland but I'm kinda partial to Mac-Don :yesnod:.

NAR: PM me about that 116.

I got so used to my old JD1209 and NH479 that when I did a friend's field with his hydra swing Hesston (1190?) I kept getting myself confused. Once I got used to it, I really liked it though. One thing I know about the JD Vs NH... I like the lower slope of the NH platform better. Smoother transition to the rolls and easier to set swath width.

Last edited:
This is the 116 we have. Missing side shields like every other one I have ever seen. They get in the way when you need to adjust the chain and stuff. It was kinda fun to run but when we went to less but bigger tractors then it was more convenient to have a self propelled. If we still had one of the 50s it wouldn't be bad to still run it. Cab was nicer running the tractors than it is in the swather...

Attachments

• 0603081945.jpg
    0603081945.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 11
  • 0603081946.jpg
    0603081946.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 0603081947.jpg
    0603081947.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 8
Back