• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HX40W-II + K47 Airbox??

You can always get some woven fiberglass hose insulation to put around that to help isolate it from the exhaust manifold temperature at either Speedway Motors or Summit. Frankly, I prefer Speedway, their prices are lower than Summit, they're a local company that's gone global, and my dad and the founder, Bill Smith, have known each other since they ran competing sprint cars back in the mid-'60's. Not to mention their global warehouse and Will-call desk for order pick up is only five minutes from my house, along with the racing museum (a MUST see if you are into vintage race cars and motors from clear back to the early 1900's, Raceday would be in hog heaven there!) housed in the same building.

Dylly, are you running a muffler or straight through on that exhaust? That thing sounds awesome, how's it on the ears on long road trips?

Dylly, are you running a muffler or straight through on that exhaust? That thing sounds awesome, how's it on the ears on long road trips?

Straight through, no muffler. It has a pretty annoying droan on long trips.. im thinking about dynamating everywhere that is convenient in the cab... hopefully it will help..

For bending the tube, let me suggest an old old school trick. A common technique in shops that need to smooth bend small thin wall tube like brass instrument makers. Fill the tube with water, no air space, freeze it solid then quickly bend the tube with a bending jig/tool. The ice acts like that inside mandrel on a big tube bender. :) You're welcome.

couple of questions about the HX40 turbo
1. How did you connect the exhaust?
2. How much better does this turbo flow over the GM-X, did you notice lower egt's?

couple of questions about the HX40 turbo
1. How did you connect the exhaust?
2. How much better does this turbo flow over the GM-X, did you notice lower egt's?

1. Use an exhaust adapter that connects the turbo to down pipe. It is made by a member here and can be bought on eBay in a kit.

2. This turbo flows so much better over the stock gm turbo, the drive pressure is reduced substantially from the larger exhaust housing and that results in lower egts and iats which also help keep engine/coolant temps down.

what is the kit called? Will it work with a 3" down pipe? How much? How hard is this turbo to switch out? I was thinking of and ATT but came across this thread and after research, this turbo seems much much cheaper!

Check for hx35 hx40wII kit 6.5 cummins. The dp adapter will work with any down pipe made for the 6.5 turbo diesel. This turbo was very easy to install. Major mods if you even consider major or slight mods to oil drain, cutting off of the v flange from the compressor housing outlet,maybe some cleaning up of some edges with a dremel tool, the upper intake plenum will have to be cut back and an intake will have to be adapted to the turbo. Really just minor issues that kinda add up but with some attention to detail and little time and effort can be done in a day or two.

Turbo comes in at just under $300, kit to adapt to 6.5 for $200 and depending how you do your intake that may or may not cost much anything. So basically a little cheaper then the att

The kit Raceday sells looked a little restricted. Is it so tight to make room for the AC dryer on the firewall? Does this affect the flow of it? Im guessing a 90* elbow would fit on the back?

The kit Raceday sells looked a little restricted. Is it so tight to make room for the AC dryer on the firewall? Does this affect the flow of it? Im guessing a 90* elbow would fit on the back?

It's not as restrictive as you might think. The adapter is no smaller than the exit on the factory GMx turbo or the ATT (haven't saw an ATT, but if it mounts up to the factory downpipe, it can't be any different). The A/C dryer isn't the problem, the kit just takes the most direct route out of the turbo to the downpipe. You likely could use a 90* elbow on the back of the HX40w-ii but you would have to fabricate your own downpipe which likely won't be much better than any after market 3" downpipe since you can't fit anything larger than a 3" downpipe between the body and frame.

It's not as restrictive as you might think. The adapter is no smaller than the exit on the factory GMx turbo or the ATT (haven't saw an ATT, but if it mounts up to the factory downpipe, it can't be any different). The A/C dryer isn't the problem, the kit just takes the most direct route out of the turbo to the downpipe. You likely could use a 90* elbow on the back of the HX40w-ii but you would have to fabricate your own downpipe which likely won't be much better than any after market 3" downpipe since you can't fit anything larger than a 3" downpipe between the body and frame./QUOTE]
That is good to know. I was concerned I would loose my AC, which I am not willing to part with!!!! Did the flange bolt holes line up? or did you have to fabricate them? What boost numbers are you seeing with this set up?
Sorry for so many ?????'s but easier to learn from others than from mistakes.

Back