• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HX40II Turbo Install

Got the timing set today (It wasnt far off) and went out on the road to do 0-60, going uphill alittle It was under 10 sec That aint bad for a tank like Brutus

Excellent job Bruce! High quality craftsmanship right there. And also cudos to the nice clean engine bay. Are you sure that is a 6.5? ;) I couldn't tell due to the LACK of oil deposits. :D

Excellent job Bruce! High quality craftsmanship right there. And also cudos to the nice clean engine bay. Are you sure that is a 6.5? ;) I couldn't tell due to the LACK of oil deposits. :D

Hahaha, I really should have taken some detailed before pictures, Brutus was literally on its way to the crusher when I saved him, Engine was blown up 6 bald tires 4 of them flat the bed was full of garbage, the Interior was so dirty and stunk like something had died in it, It had been a plumbers work truck its whole life and looked the part, My wife and neighbors looked at me like I was a idiot when I backed the roll back in with it on it that was almost 2 years ago and I would have a awful hard time ever giving it up now

Got the timing set today (It wasnt far off) and went out on the road to do 0-60, going uphill alittle It was under 10 sec That aint bad for a tank like Brutus

That's a dam impressive 0-60 for a dually!! Great work! Any estimates as to where your 0-60 was before the turbo? Mines currently at about 12-13sec and I have set the goal for 9sec.

:drool5: Knocking almost 5 seconds off a 0-60 time! Wow, I think I have made my turbo decision. Many thanks for sharing and patience to answer questions.

:drool5: Knocking almost 5 seconds off a 0-60 time! Wow, I think I have made my turbo decision. Many thanks for sharing and patience to answer questions.

I see you have the Heath tune, so that should work, Im gonna make up a couple downpipes this week Ive got some tighter radius bends coming Ill see what I have in them and go from there, But don't forget Im still gonna put a ATT on and see how it stacks up on ol Brutus, so don't jump to any conclusions yet

Nice work Bruce.

My tired old motor will do 0-60 in about 10 seconds with an ATT.

I see you have the Heath tune, so that should work, Im gonna make up a couple downpipes this week Ive got some tighter radius bends coming Ill see what I have in them and go from there, But don't forget Im still gonna put a ATT on and see how it stacks up on ol Brutus, so don't jump to any conclusions yet

I have actually been contemplating a turbo upgrade for a long time. In this time I put a lot of thought into the ATT and I am certain the truck would haul really good with it. The reasoning for me deciding to go with this one is that the ATT got the best reviews when it was used for towing, I rarely tow so that wasn't as appealing to me as it would be to others. I also enjoy a little bit of off roading from time to time where engine speed is generally pretty low, I personally don't think I would see the benefit of the ATT in this scenario so I do think it would do the ATT justice in seeing its full benefit.

I have actually been contemplating a turbo upgrade for a long time. In this time I put a lot of thought into the ATT and I am certain the truck would haul really good with it. The reasoning for me deciding to go with this one is that the ATT got the best reviews when it was used for towing, I rarely tow so that wasn't as appealing to me as it would be to others. I also enjoy a little bit of off roading from time to time where engine speed is generally pretty low, I personally don't think I would see the benefit of the ATT in this scenario so I do think it would do the ATT justice in seeing its full benefit.
sounds like the HX40II is for you then

Sure sounds good.

What I'd be interested in finding out is what kind of mileage would you be able to get for say about 1000 miles of normal to easy, non towing miles. What kind of mileage have you been getting prior to the turbo swap?

Brutus sounds very similar to my pickup, except mine is a heavy 3/4 ton (see my sig), not 1 ton dually. The best I've been able to get in the past 1 1/2 years is 14.76 MPG. That was staying below 2000 RPM (58 MPH) on a 150 mile run, half of which was towing a light trailer with two jet skis. Going that slow is tough, especially when the 18 wheelers leave you in their dust.

Don

I get about 18 usmpg with the ATT, it picked me up a couple mpg. This is hwy mileage.

I went out and did a video, I had alot of tire spin so the launch wasnt very good but its right at 10 seconds, I was going to do another but it started raining
[video=youtube;0rvVa6ef0as]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rvVa6ef0as&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Back