• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HX40 wII turbo

Weasel

Reaction score
Hello, Does all these hx40w11 turbos on e-bay come from the company or fellow "Indyracingparts"
While looking, it seems that all the ads are from this party.
I am ready to order and want to get the turbo from the same company others on this board got there's from.
Prices are $279.95 and one at $280.00, what is the difference in the ad?

Thank you for advise on the turbo.

Weasel

Hello, Does all these hx40w11 turbos on e-bay come from the company or fellow "Indyracingparts"
While looking, it seems that all the ads are from this party.
I am ready to order and want to get the turbo from the same company others on this board got there's from.
Prices are $279.95 and one at $280.00, what is the difference in the ad?

Thank you for advise on the turbo.

Weasel

Yes all the same Place, emotorusa.com is the main company

When you purchase, try to request that you get a 10-blade turbine wheel, as that is a better flowing wheel in the exhaust housing. They have 10-blade and 12-blade 76mm wheels, and are sending them randomly it seems. The 10-blade is preferrable.

I have tried to find a 10 blade turbine wheel hx40wII on the e-bay vendors. Only one person would check for me and it was a 12 blade.
Do any of you that have a knock off holset like a particular vendor that gave you good service. I just don't know who to purchase one of these
turbos from.

Thanks for the help

Weasel

I got mine from IndyRacingParts, so you can tell them they have sold them before, even if they dont know it, or complain about quality control then. Maybe the producer changed it up at some point so they sold 10-blades and then the next shipment had 12 blades. Most of the sellers are clueless I'm sure. For those that wont even check, you chould let them know that is an important part of the configuration description and their ads should say how many blades the turbine wheel is. I tried to explain to them these things before if they were going to be selling turbos.

Any seat of the pants data or use on Cummings that can get a measure of the difference between the 10 and 12 blade versions. Like which is used on the 5.9 application.

I know if you get a true, original Super HX40 it has a 7 blade compressor and 10 blade turbine. So I would think that the 10 blade would be better and best for flow. Anyone have any trouble with an HX40II yet....one coming apart? Had to ask since they are made in China right?

I have only heard of one turbo leaking oil and the seller made it right. other then that I havent heard anyone else having any problems with these turbos. All seems well with them :thumbsup:

I got mine from indyracingparts and ended up with a 12 blade turbine. So far I have been happy with it. FWIW my truck is primarily a tow pig.

So I have a question. Why are people buying this HX40 and not the ATT? Is it because it sounds like a Holset turbo(meaning HX40)? I'm just curious.

combination of price and wastegated which allows quicker spooling. if you don't have any fab skills the ATT is almost a bolt on

So has anybody had both on their trucks to say that it does spool faster? I'm just asking because it was weird for me to have 0 boost but accelerate faster than with a GM8. Yeah the GM8 boost comes up quicker, but the ATT still accelerates better at 0-1psi. My point is, even with a GM8 building boost faster, the truck is slower. My truck, from idle accelerates better than the GM 8 ever did. Even just cruising around with light throttle.

So has anybody had both on their trucks to say that it does spool faster? I'm just asking because it was weird for me to have 0 boost but accelerate faster than with a GM8. Yeah the GM8 boost comes up quicker, but the ATT still accelerates better at 0-1psi. My point is, even with a GM8 building boost faster, the truck is slower. My truck, from idle accelerates better than the GM 8 ever did. Even just cruising around with light throttle.

It probably depends on your configuration and tuning, with 3.42 gearing that was not the case for my truck. The ATT was better at acceleration from a cruise speed where RPMs were already above 1800.

I can guarantee this specific 14cm^2 housing unit spools faster, especially considering people have a hard time keeping them under 20psi of boost. I have one, will try it out soon. The Holset wheels are known for fast spooling as well.

There is no G in Cummins. Sorry. had to say it. It bothers me. And boost isn't the full equation. You have to consider airflow. ATT outflows the GM turbos. That is what everybody says. Someone can correct me

Is there anyone that makes the down pipe for the HX40?

racedaymechanic was, I don't know if he has the time any more now that he's back with another racing team. Try PMing him and find out. I knew that he had a few units left over a few months ago.

Back