• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

hx35 exhaust flange

Reaction score
Hello everyone I just got a hx35 turbo for my 99 gmc 3500 6.5l turbo diesel. I was wondering if if matters if the exhaust flange is divided or if it has to be the open one like my gm8 has. I already installed a 4 inch turbo back exhaust with a 4 inch down pipe still have to do the crossover pipe. Also looking for installation tips for the hx35 any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hello everyone I just got a hx35 turbo for my 99 gmc 3500 6.5l turbo diesel. I was wondering if if matters if the exhaust flange is divided or if it has to be the open one like my gm8 has. I already installed a 4 inch turbo back exhaust with a 4 inch down pipe still have to do the crossover pipe. Also looking for installation tips for the hx35 any information would be greatly appreciated.
It's dual scroll and works great on the 6.5td Holset or CKO type hx35 spool faster than other same sized brands, if it's t3 just bolt on.......

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I might have to spin the exhaust to line up with my down pipe which is a 3 inch not 4 inch as stated earlier.

Yup, they bolt on. Some people will take a razor or dremel and grind down the divider so its tapered.
You will most likely need to rotate the rear and center sections of the turbo to get it to line up on your truck.

Thanks everyone hopefully I'll have it installed this weekend just have to remember to set the waste gate to around 15 psi.
That 15 psi will yield 29.7 psi @ sea level - loss from CAC/IC and intake that's just over 2.0 pressure ratio. I run 2.5/2.9 max pressure ratio w/big HX40w.

Knife edging the dual scroll housing to taper it in for better flow isn't something I'd recommend. Knife thin metal and repeated heat cycles, and it's sure to crack.

Knife edging the dual scroll housing to taper it in for better flow isn't something I'd recommend. Knife thin metal and repeated heat cycles, and it's sure to crack.

x2, I didn't do it to mine, but I have seen it done on here and other forums. My HX35 spooled like a stock GM turbo.

I have heard that 15 psi is the highest boost a stock 6.5 can handle without modification. I already have a boost gage and will install a egt gage when I do the crossover pipe.

I have heard that 15 psi is the highest boost a stock 6.5 can handle without modification. I already have a boost gage and will install a egt gage when I do the crossover pipe.
Not true, I run up to 2.9 pressure ratio w/big HX4OW 4" IN/OUT on stock block w/o studs that's 42.63 psi total and on the boost gauge 27.93 psi. Pressure ratio is measured to include the air pressure you are at so I'm at sea level and that is 14.7 psi then you add whatever boost you are running to get the pressure ratio, most turbo maps show pressure ratio.

Back