• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Humvee block

Rodd

Recruit
Reaction score
I am looking at a Hummer block with center mount turbo. I was talking to Leroy a few weeks ago and IIRC he said I could mount it in my truck but I would need to fab up an intake going from my stock turbo to the Humvee intake. I left him a message today but it was after business hours so I probably won't hear from him till monday. before I pull the trigger, is there anything I am missing doing this, hood clearance issues, etc?

You could make it fit. Hummer hood clearance is tighter than pickups. Like- Leroy can fit his centrifuge ontop of the valve cover- not in a hummer.

And depending which hummer intake you have, if central intake crossover or the rear one might be different options like flip sides around and have intake holes towards front and you could fred them easier from an inner cooler.

As for the oil supply and return for the turbo, just use a new figure 8 oring seal and cut down a piece of angle iron to hold it in place.

You could make it fit. Hummer hood clearance is tighter than pickups. Like- Leroy can fit his centrifuge ontop of the valve cover- not in a hummer.

And depending which hummer intake you have, if central intake crossover or the rear one might be different options like flip sides around and have intake holes towards front and you could fred them easier from an inner cooler.

As for the oil supply and return for the turbo, just use a new figure 8 oring seal and cut down a piece of angle iron to hold it in place.

IIRC it is a 3 piece intake. Worst case I could ditch the intake and heads and use my trucks intake and heads, then there is no extra fabrication, right?

Yes. On if intake does not work for you, you could swap your heads. I worded it bad about swapping the intake around. The left portion intake always have to go on the left side head for the bolt pattern. But they made different intakes, some with the port at the rear and some with the port in the center. The picture I show you has the port at the rear.

No matter which head swap or intake solution you come up with you still have to seal the oil supply to center mount turbo. But that is easy: 1.5” angle iron 5.5” long and possibly a little grinder work to clear the oil pump drive depending on which oil pump drive you have. If you have the low profile one in most modern 6.5s then it clears. Just surface the angle iron flat on a belt sander to ensure flat surface for the seal.

So the seal in the bag is a one piece unit in a figure 8 shape. It sits into the groove in the block. The bottom of the turbo is flush all the way across from the two mounting bolts.

On the intake, There is also parts made by Banks and others that replace the center intake piece which have hose attachment pieces for use of an innercooler.

I also thought about folks making a new centerpiece that is a water to air cooler. Just use the block cooler there with the two ports into the bottom plate of the cooler and a single 4” round port on the other side for feed from turbo. It would take some fab work also of course, but if you are thinking of water to air unit- that would work.

Something to know about the hummer/van intakes- it is harder to reach the injection pump. It I put a bigger turbo on my hummer, I am 95% convinced I will go back to the normal intake.

I think what would be best is a low profile runner intake like what the duramax has and with a port out the front of each even more working room around ip, but most importantly lots of room for a big centermounted turbo. If I had a tig here- I would already have cut up 1 or 2 intakes.

Back