• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

huge junkyard score this month

iamdave0887

Here Comes Chaos.....
Reaction score
9/11/2010 - of all days. First off i want to pay my respects to all those lost on that fateful day 9 years ago and all those that have been lost in the fight to keep this country free.

i knew it was going to be a good day at the junkyard today. Something in me just said "go junkyarding"

When i parked the car, i get out and my buddy goes "check that out" and points on the ground. There was a HUGE alternator from what has to be an OTR truck just sitting there on the ground. I looked around and no one claimed it so i snagged it. Turns out is a Delco 33si, and it works. it puts out ~13.8 on my test bench.

anyways on with the story.

At this point i'm wandering the junkyard looking for odds and ends. I come upon a 92 6.2 diesel K2500LD. So i snag the air filter housing with the larger mouth and the tubing for my intake silencer delete plan. Truck next to it had the same intake tubing laying there, but for a gasser with no silencer, so the tubing was longer. I picked that up as well.

At this point my arms are full of parts. I head to the checkout without even going to the back of the yard, pay the $40 everything rang up at, and brought the stuff to the car.

It was early still so i went back in to check out the rest of the yard. I found a torched 70s or so blazer and found out someone swapped an electric gate on it, so i pulled the little "gate transmission" from it.

MY buddy notices a CCLB 80s body style truck about 200 feet away. He goes "i'm going over here" and i just said "yea sure don't make me have to find you". He comes back with a Banks Diesel tach in his hand and says "can you use this?"

I dropped the tools right out of my hands and let go of the tailgate which wasn't attached on one side so it slammed into the ground and said "where'd you get this?" He goes "over there" and point to the CCLB DRW truck.

He walks me over to that CCLB truck, and i saw something shiny where the air silencer housing would be on a 6.2. I said "no f***ing way is that what i think it is" as i continue walking towards it. Sure enough it was. 6.2 or 6.5 diesel(painted cat yellow) with a COMPLETE banks turbo setup. I was totally in shock. I ran(fat guys aren't good at this) all the way back to the front of the yard and asked the guy that runs the cashier's section what he wanted for the turbo system. He said "do you need manifolds and everything?" This is when i figured "oh shit this'll cost me." I said Yes, and he goes "$300" I was floored. I told him "sold" and then asked if i could pull some things today and he said "yea just show me what you've pulled from it."

I pulled the intake hat(heavy cast aluminum that says "Banks Sidewinder Turbo" on it, the chrome boost tube with all the clamps and couplers, air filter top & bolts/air filter/CDR tubing and that's about all i could get to with nothing more than a few sets of vice grips and a big adjustable wrench. I asked him to give me ~5 feet of exhaust after the downpipe as well as the oil line form the rear of the block to the turbo. Hopefully he'll just cut the whole exhaust out since it really wasn't all there(turndown after muffler pointing to rear axle)

All in all it was an AMAZING day at the junkyard.

Those who have never gone junkyard-ing REALLY should go. You'd be amazed what you'll find in them.

Total cost for the day was $360.50. Not bad at all.

- Dave

I should've bought the engine as well. I did get the IP with all the Banks turbo stuff as well. It's a red tag DB2 with "turbo" enscribed on the tag. There's also a date of 5/07 on it so it's not that old. When i pulled the top cover off everything was spotless inside. Going to send it out to Accurate Diesel to have it tested and made sure it'll put out enough fuel for a Banks setup, but not too much as to cook something even though i will have a pyrometer installed.

wow, nice find. think it's time I looked around here for some gems like that.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS, Gotta love it when life is good at the Bone Yard :D

Every so often these deals do come around.

I have had three Banks turbo setups and have sold all three because of other issues.

Definately on the prowl for another one to install on my Blazer Project.

The last one I had was perfect in every way. Hated to sell the thing but, repairs on the big truck right in the middle of winter got into my shorts big time so something had to go to cover the repair costs. :(

Good to hear of your grand score.

Missy

$$$$$ area tad short right now.
Gotta get DaHoooley back together first.

Gonna try and get a few more extra pieces of Old Blazer and Burbs sold.

When this happens, YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS turbo time.

Really want to do a turbo on the Blazer Project.

Missy

Back