• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

HP4 or HPT

Got this in an email from Ian at Heath

"Fuel economy is about the same with both of our programs, the point where you would notice a big difference is in the last 25% of throttle. The HP4 is going to put out more fuel up there, thus using more under fuel throttle conditions."

"if you only tow that a few times a year and you are going to have a pyro gauge to monitor exhaust temp then I would say use the HP4."

I'm thinking about getting a chip in a month or so. I'm looking more for fuel economy/reliability with a touch of go-fast. I was thinking of the HP4, but the more I think about it, would the HPT have anything programmed into it that the HP4 doesn't that would make it worse for a daily driver than the HP4? I'm not real big on towing, it's only a 1500 with a max trailer weight of maybe 6K. What chip would offer better economy/reliability/engine life?

Thanks.

The major difference between the two programs is the last 75% to 100% throttle. The HP4 has more fuel and timing in this area that can use more fuel raise EGT's a little under extreme load conditions under full throttle. This is why we say you can run the HP4 just fine for almost any conditions but if you plan on towing more than 13,000 lbs combined truck and trailor over large hills we do recommend and exhaust temp gauge. As for fuel economy, they both are about the same under normal driving conditions. It is just when you push the HP4 into the last 25% throttle you can use a little more fuel.
Hope this helps in your choice.

Regards,

Ian

Back