• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Hows this blow by look? Also boost question

Filter recommendations change as filters change. Like the Ecore change to AC Delco. Lately I am re-considering what I run. Mail order to give me more choices than the local store.

I've nearly walked over plastic body Wix plastic Duramax fuel filters due to air leaks on the WIF threads. Both FRAM and Wix are known for their oil filters taking out 5.9 Cummins engines - the Wix was known bad in the late 90's. Both brands stood behind their failed filters and made changes to them.

Regardless I prefer the Mobile 1 or the Wix oil filters. At 2500 miles Wix for the 6.5 is my choice due to availability. Wix is better than Carquest per the study as the wix has the silicone anti drain back valve and the carquest has Nitrile. Re-branded and made to others specs is sometimes worse than the Real McCoy. Napa has 2 grades of oil filters and the drain back valve material is one difference. The Nitrile hardens over time and in the link above it's debris is what was going through the ruined engine... (or at least in the past this is what was found along with filter material.)

So Silicone anti-drain back valve and coil spring are high on my list of good construction. The M1 filter makes a compromise on the spring... Synthetic media is now on my list and will influence future choices.

LOL anybody want a case of frams! I bought a pile of them when they were on sale stateside. Now after reading this thread not sure if i will continue using them. I am only on my second one out of the 12 i bought. I haven't noticed any issues yet. Prior to that i was using the AC Delco's for about 10 years. I do change my oil and filter more than i should, about every 2k or so. Mostly because the engine lives at 3krpm thereabouts most of its life and i want good hot flowing oil at those revs.
Good thread!!

Back