• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Howdy from a new diesel owner needing redemption

Leroy & btfarm - yep, far NW side. 3500GMC - your '65 looks like fun. Nice stance.

Took a quick video of the '58 today. Not much, just some tripod stuff, but I dig it :) Be sure to have your volume up a bit. (like I would have to tell you guys)

[video=youtube;Xh6BJJGrRmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh6BJJGrRmA[/video]

Richard

from as much cranking as it took to start I'd be checking the fuel supply system for air leaks etc. Looks good tho

Thanks, yeah it's definitely not happy, has a pile of codes set, needs troubleshooting. But a few of my friends have been bugging me for video so I took some. :) The clear tube to the injector pump seems to be devoid of any bubbles, that's a good sign, yes?

Richard

Hey Richard, YES no air is good.....Should be 1 bubble at the top of the hose when your shut down. (Small to Medium size)

I remember you from 3500HD dot com.....Looks like we're in the same business, What's that, a Vulcan Self Loader parked out front?

Richard, are you going to leave it lowered? If not I would have the frame rails run straight over the rear axle, then I would put a wood box floor in it. JMO

Cool Vid! :thumbsup:
You're all probably way too young but I can still hear the Chev. radio jingle "Task Force Trucks for '58"

Brooklyn - yep, company truck, 2009 3500"HD" with an 810 Intruder on it. Love the Intruder, probably my favorite selfloader...not really the truck so much. It's OK but it's no real HD. Maybe if it had a Duramax the front end would stay on the ground when it's got a load on, but it's a 6.0 gas. Nice and quiet which is good for sneaky which is exactly what I need, except the muffler (stock) tends to rumble and set off alarms.

Leo - she's staying on the ground, sir. :) I love 'em low.

Richard

Please start a build thread and if ya don't mind snap a few pics here & there as ya go along to take us with ya for the adventure.

many thanks for the pics & vid...that truck is awesome. Nothing compares to the feeling ya get from restoration...anyone can buy new!

Thanks for the added pics and video. The rear shot definitely shows the wide box heritage. Lots of potential there.

Hope you don't mind this ol cabinetmaker putting out some ideas for you to mull over.

For the bed, find some of the original metal strips from a wood floor bed. Get some clear oak or calico hickory milled to accept the metal strips. The wood will need to be finished in some kind of clear marine grade spar varnish, or similar, to stand up to UV and weather degradation.

Then build a full length bed floor that sets just above the height of the rear wheels. But, make the wood deck into a couple gull wing lift doors, like the old Mercedes sports car from the 50s. Inset some stainless steel fingerpulls into the wood and use some of the air filled lift cylinders to support the open doors.

I'm not sure what you'd find for hinges, but they would need to be a hidden hinge, like the euro style cabinet hinge, so the fact that they are functional doors would be hidden. (just had a wild thought, maybe hood hinges could be retrofitted and the pull cable latch system used to eliminate the fingerpulls and air lift cylinders) Under these doors make some bins to fill in the lower areas of the frame. This would give a look of the original bed and hide the fact that there is hidden storage underneath.

Don

Thanks for the added pics and video. The rear shot definitely shows the wide box heritage. Lots of potential there.

Hope you don't mind this ol cabinetmaker putting out some ideas for you to mull over.

For the bed, find some of the original metal strips from a wood floor bed. Get some clear oak or calico hickory milled to accept the metal strips. The wood will need to be finished in some kind of clear marine grade spar varnish, or similar, to stand up to UV and weather degradation.

Then build a full length bed floor that sets just above the height of the rear wheels. But, make the wood deck into a couple gull wing lift doors, like the old Mercedes sports car from the 50s. Inset some stainless steel fingerpulls into the wood and use some of the air filled lift cylinders to support the open doors.

I'm not sure what you'd find for hinges, but they would need to be a hidden hinge, like the euro style cabinet hinge, so the fact that they are functional doors would be hidden. (just had a wild thought, maybe hood hinges could be retrofitted and the pull cable latch system used to eliminate the fingerpulls and air lift cylinders) Under these doors make some bins to fill in the lower areas of the frame. This would give a look of the original bed and hide the fact that there is hidden storage underneath.

Don

Don - cool bed floor idea but I think I'm gonna stay with the current style of the truck, which is rough, and raw. It'll probably get some diamondplate (steel, not aluminum) compartments built fore and aft of the notch, some wheel tubs made, and a notch cover between them. It would seem a little weird to me to have a nice fancy bed floor while the rest of the truck looks like it does. :)

I've started a project page for it on my now-defunct shop's website; the link is in my profile. On most sites I have the link in my sig but that's not allowed here I guess.

Richard

I just figured you would be spiffing up the body. I would agree that a fancy bed floor wouldn't look right with how your plans are for the truck.

Don

Richard! Welcome, sweet ride man! I can only imagine what this will end up like when you are "done". I loved the build of the black 3500HD.
Yes, for those that don't know Richard, he is EXTREMELY knowledgeable on GMT400's and the term "a god" does apply here.

Thanks Skylark, I remember you from FSC; man my reputation (perhaps not wholly deserved) has preceded me! ;) I've had the benefit of playing with a lot of GMT400 trucks but believe me I don't know everything about them, far from it. But I will help out whenever I can on those subjects. I just wish I knew more about the diesels, where my knowledge base is practically zero. But then again that's why I'm here - to learn!

Richard

Richard your knowledge is welcomed by all of us, as is your enthusiasm to learn from the guys here that are willing to help you along but mostly the humility you show is sincerely appreciated. We are a very friendly group, a Brotherhood (and sister) of enthusiasts here to help each other and share friendship. The guys with big egos don't USUALLY get real far with this group. Once again, glad to see you here at The Truck Stop!

Back