• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How to unfreeze a motor

ghostrider500

Always stirrin' the pot
Reaction score
My Dad has a Ford 3000 3 cylinder engine tractor that was running fine when he parked it. It sat for almost two years outside and now the motor won't turn over. He's tried to break it free by dragging the tractor around and engaging the clutch to no avail. He wants to put some type of oil/fuel down the cylinders to see if it could break the pistons loose. What is the best type of fluid to put down the piston holes? Diesel? tranny fluid? Or what?

Marvel Mystery oil, Kroil Penetrant, ATF/Acetone 50/50 or so mix. Other oils will work like PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, WD-40 but I like the first sentence oils better for this job. Turn it over by hand once it moves to pump out the excess top cylinder oil and change the crankcase oil. Coke might eat rust but not sure I'd want it inside an engine.

Poor Coca cola down the plug holes, the rust will foam right out,do that every day for a week or more depending how stuck it is.

That is one fluid I never would of thought of, but I can see it working. My concern would be once it lost its rust eating capability would it contribute to returning rust?

Marvel Mystery oil, Kroil Penetrant, ATF/Acetone 50/50 or so mix. Other oils will work like PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, WD-40 but I like the first sentence oils better for this job. Turn it over by hand once it moves to pump out the excess top cylinder oil and change the crankcase oil. Coke might eat rust but not sure I'd want it inside an engine.

Thinking the ATF/acetone blend would be good. What benefit is the acetone?

Put ATF in all the spark plug holes. Let it sit and it will allow the piston rings to lubricate.

Sounds like the way I'll go.

50/50 ATF Acetone is as good a penetrating oil you can get, the acetone probably does what the Coke would do. I think the Coke would work but think it would leave a sticky film on everything from the sugar.

clipped.....
What benefit is the acetone?

I assume Acetone is to thin the ATF so it can wick into smaller areas. Both ATF and Acetone are solvents and pretty strong on their own. ATF I guess really isn't a classic solvent but has lots of detergents? or additives for keeping the clutch wear material in suspension and keep it from gumming up the works while lubricating and cooling the transmission. I don't think acetone will dissolve rust but its a component in finger nail polish and can clean away lots of grime and dirt etc.

Its basically a cheap mix that doesn't seem to be bad for most metal uses.

50 years ago i got an old Allis B tractor for free, it had been sitting for many years without a rain cap on the stack.
The mill was solid stuck, one off the jugs was full of water when i took the spark plug out.
After i had sucked the water out i filled all 4 holes with coca cola, rust started boiling out right away.
I let it sit overnight and siphoned all the coke out and refilled with new, i did that for a week or 10 days or so till i could bust the mill loose with just the hand crank.
It had stuck valves as well so i had to take the head off anyway.
Most of the rust on the liners top down were the pistons had been sitting stuck was gone.
Coca cola works.
It was also the day i quit drinking that penetrating oil,..it can't be good for ones stomach if it eats rust like that.

Back