• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

"How To Pull" Part 2: What to do at the track.

durallymax

Reaction score
Well Ive finally had some time to write this up. First time I was almost done and my computer went haywire and I lost it all.

I was going to write it last night but the website was having some problems.

The purpose of this write up is for the pulling rookie who wants to make a few hooks, or the street stock guy who plans on pulling a lot, but doesn’t quite have the full blown truck. The majority of this is just how to pull and what to do to the driveline of your truck. None of it is power related as that is a different topic. There are many other things to do for pulling, but these are the basics.

So here it is, its lengthy but I tried to space it out. Enjoy.

Part 2.

What to do at the track and puller courtesy.

1. Don’t be late. As a general rule of thumb 1 hour early is about the latest you’d wanna get there. This allows time to get set up, weigh in and attend the drivers meeting.

2. Before you even leave though make sure you have everything you need.

3. When you arrive go straight to registration, if it is not open yet then start setting up your truck. At registration you will have to sign a liability waiver, pay the entry fee, write down your info and draw the number that you will pull.

4. The number you draw doesn’t always represent where you will end up in the class so make sure you check ahead of time to see where your at.

5. When setting up your truck and maneuvering around the pits be polite to others, stay out of the main traffic areas and try to keep the flow going.

6. Once your truck is set up go weigh in. This part is simple, you just simply drive on the scale and drive off. Some pulls will also tech your truck so be prepared for that. Its no big deal they just look over it to make sure it fits within the rules.

7. Now you wait. Towards the end of the class before you go get in your truck and start moving closer to the track and getting in line. Do not leave your truck while it is running, technically you can be DQ’d for this, and some places will even enforce the rule. Once you get in your truck engage 4LO.

8. Know who the two trucks in front of you are and whos behind you, this way you can be in the right spot in the lineup and also help others. Remember pullers are one big family for the most part. Also listen to the announcer hell say things like on deck and in the hole. For those who don’t know on deck is the next puller after the current one and in the hole is two pullers after the current one. Make sure you are up there on time, they should not have to wait for you. Its your job to keep the pull moving, every minute counts. After all the pull isn’t about you, its about the fans and the charity/community organization that some of the profits will go to. So keeping it moving makes everybody happier in the end and doesn’t get the pull organizers in trouble with the city for running too late.

9. When your name is called pull on the track and back up square to the sled. Don’t mash the throttle intentionally to blow smoke or anything like that just drive out there appropriately yet quickly. However at the same time mistakes happen and when your nervous and have a touchy tune in and your driving in LOW, its very easy to accidentally mash the throttle. When backing up there will be a guy on the sled directing you, when he says stop, stop. He’ll then hook you up and get the hell out of there or tell you to tighten up the chain.

10. To tighten the chain, just idle forward until it stops the truck.

11. Now you wait for the flagman closest to you to hold up the green. This is the only person you should be watching. He won’t give you a green flag unless everybody else is ready including the sled. If he does, it is not your fault and you shouldn’t be penalized for it, and if you are, don’t get angry.

NOTE: Everybody communicates with hand signals so try to get familiar with them if you are not.

Now your hooked up and ready to go down the track, which is part 3.

Again any additions or corrections just let me know.

Back