• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How to insatll a tach???

They make special tachs that read off of the alternator or something like that, but a gasser tach wont work, SS Diesel sells the diesel tachs.

Some 6.2's had a vacuum pump with a speed sensor that a normal teach would hook up to. Also some of the serp belt 6.2's and early 6.5's had a speed sensor that went where the non-serp vacuum pump was.

other than that i think the only option is to get a diesel tach that runs off the alternator. they are more expensive though.

on edit: i have also hear of a rare mechanical tach for the early 6.2's that were gear driven off the flywheel- i never had anyone confirm this or seen one myself though so i dont know if there is any truth to it.

This may not be what you are looking for but here is what I am getting:

Staff Edit, link to site competing vendor SSD removed SSD is not a vendor of DTR

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a banks tach that was basically an isspro. It required gluing two magnets on the harmonic balancer 180 degrees apart and then it had a sensor that would pick up the magnetic pulse. This was a very good tach, except that magnets would come off on occasion and they were very strong little magnets. The last aproach I used was to use super glue on the back of the magnet and then cover the magnet with jb weld.

If you install an engine speed sensor oil pump drive, you can use that to trigger the tach - do a search I think there may be something on this. I know Dr. Lee had an article on this several years ago at the page

I use an autometer diesel tach with an alternator pickup. It seems to be pretty accurate. I used a phototach from harbor freight to calibrate it.

Back