• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How To: GM Truck window motor replacement '99 - '07 classic

Max Attitude

Typical White Person
Reaction score
I just did this on a 2000 Chevy 1500. I believe all the '99-early '07 trucks are relatively the same. It's easy so save yourself some money and do it yourself. I'll do my best to explain step by step. I bought my aftermarket window motor assembly from a parts store. $116....about half of what the dealer wanted.

First gather the tools needed: A utility knife (or any knife), 7mm nut driver, a regular screw driver, a 10mm socket, ratchet driver and extension, and of course the window motor assembly-

363956196.jpg

First take the door lock switch off. It pops right out with a screwdriver-

363956219.jpg

363956224.jpg

Then take the triangle panel off. Put the screwdriver in the 2 spots marked and pop it off-
363956238.jpg

Then take your 7mm nut driver and take 2 screws out. One is on the bottom of the door panel-
363956234.jpg

and one in by the door handle-
363956207.jpg

Now that the bottom screw is out take the storage compartment out-
363956894.jpg

Once the storage compartment is out unplug the light on the door panel-
363956213.jpg

One more thing before you can pull the panel off. Put the screwdriver at the end of the door switch panel and pry it up carefully. Then remove the 7mm screw and unplug the switch panel and set it aside-
363956231.jpg

Now you are ready to take the panel off. Lift it upward by the handle and the bottom of the panel. It make take a little wiggling. You will have to fish the door handle through the hole.

Now that the panel is off you will see a plastic covering. First make a cut in the plastic in front of the handle-
363957632.jpg

Then unbolt the handle from the door using the 10mm socket.
363957640.jpg

Pull the plastic off of the door and the handle will go through the hole you cut in the plastic. Set the plastic where the adhesive won't get dirty.

Now you will see the motor and where the bolts are located. I don't have pics of the bolt locations, sorry. But one in the pic is circled-

363961741.jpg

I think there are 8 10mm bolts total, 4 on each side including the part that clamps the window. This is how the window motor assembly looks when removed stock on the left, new aftermarket on the right-
363956199.jpg

First unbolt the window clamps, you can see them through the door holes...they look like this-
363956241.jpg

Once you have it unbolted make sure the window stays where it is. The one I did stayed fine but you make want to take a screw diver or 2 and position them so the window stays up.

To take the window assembly out you just take the 2 sides and put them together to the bottom of the door and pull out through the opening. It's hard to explain but you'll figure it out. ):h

Now just reverse each step. Piece of cake. :thumbsup:

Any questions just ask.

Up here the cables rust and fray, I have done several and the motors are usually still good.

that is a good write up.

Thanks

Up here the cables rust and fray, I have done several and the motors are usually still good.

that is a good write up.

Thanks

Thanks guys.

The cable rusted and broke on ours too but according to the dealer we had to buy the whole assembly. It's nice having all new parts in there anyways.

I'm hoping I never need that but if I do, I'll know where to look... Nice write up!

Update!

I just took off the door panel on my '05 and found it was a little different. There is not a screw behind the switches. Leave the switch panel on there until the entire panel is off...then you can just unplug them. Do not attempt to take the switch panel off from the top, it is screwed on from the bottom. I almost broke it trying to get it off. This only applies to certain years. If your panel has a screw behind the lock/unlock switch you don't need to take the switch panel out.

They put a screw here instead-
365346615.jpg

They also added 2 more. One by the speaker is just a plastic push pin. Pop it out with a screwdriver.
365346625.jpg

The second one is kind of different. Just pop off the cover with the screwdriver and there's a star head screw behind it.
365346618.jpg

365346621.jpg

Back