• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How to empty the septic tank ?

Acesneights1

Reaction score
I bought a travel trailer but I am not sure how to empty the holding tanks on this thing. I had a motorhome which had a single tank. Just pull the lever and let it fly but with these newer gray/black water systems I am not sure which to empty first. I know I had a problem not being able to get the black(sh$t) side to drain. Also if you are hooked to sewer do you just leave the handles open or leave them closed until tank is full then let it fly.
Thanks.
The old stuff was so much simpler.

I always empty the black first and flush it and then empty the grey so that it helps clean the hose.

I leave the grey closed until I'm ready to drain so that odors don't back up into the RV. I used to leave the grey open and had odors once and it took me a while to find the source.

Hope this helps.

ON EDIT: As Jason stated, try to let your black tank get at least 2/3's full before dumping it. Add extra water if you have to. It helps everything move better.

Last edited:
OK. I knew you had to do one of them first. Just forgot which one. I don't get why they do it like that. My old camper just had a single tank. It worked much better.

even though you're hooked up on sewer/hookups, what i generally do is use some of the no odor stuff for the black tank and leave the tank closed. When it starts to get full then I'll empty it... The more volume helps the waist drain much easier and keep the tank cleaner.

Also, there's a thing at camping world that will help you flush the tanks, it's GREAT! Especially right before putting it away for the season.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/rv-hydro-flush-90-degree/36031
that helps flush it out and keeps the sensors and tank/lines clean... It works very well.

I know it seems easier when you have hook ups to have one hose drain both sides but... wait until you DON'T have hookups in the middle of no where...
You just CRACK the grey tank (because it's just shower/hand wash water) and let it run/drip... then when you come back to get a shower the tank i empty again! You can't do that when the lines are spliced together and you have to keep uprooting to go dump every other day.

I know it seems easier when you have hook ups to have one hose drain both sides but... wait until you DON'T have hookups in the middle of no where...
You just CRACK the grey tank (because it's just shower/hand wash water) and let it run/drip... then when you come back to get a shower the tank i empty again! You can't do that when the lines are spliced together and you have to keep uprooting to go dump every other day.

You can when there's a sewer manhole around... :devil:
Seriuosly though I don't know what my old travco held but it could go nearly a week without emptying. Tank was huge. I have something very similar to flush with. It is a cap with hose hookup but no elbow.Maybe I should get the elbow one.

Cousin Eddie can help:

cousineddie.jpg

well no problem emptying it but like i said it doesn't hold much compare to what I grew up with. Basically two showers, a small bath for the kid and some dishes and it was full. I actually paid the 12$ for the suck truck to come so I didn't have to move it.

well no problem emptying it but like i said it doesn't hold much compare to what I grew up with. Basically two showers, a small bath for the kid and some dishes and it was full. I actually paid the 12$ for the suck truck to come so I didn't have to move it.

That's about what the horse trailer living quarters I have holds... that's why i just crack the grey tank and let it 'recycle' :)

Yeah I know. what is the theory behind it ? Save weight ? My Travco can go a 3-4 days of heavy use before emptying. Also by keeping the solid separate it makes that tank harder to empty whereas when they all dumped into one it copmes out nice with force.

I drain black first, but its not that big of a deal. I got a hydroflush thingy. Its a clear plastic elbow that hooks up to the outlet pipe with a hookup for a garden hose. The garden hose sprays a jet of water backwards up into the tank. You can actually fill the tank that way, then shut off the garden hose. All the water in the tank now flows out. repeat untill just clear water runs out. Works great.

90%20Hydroflush.jpg

Tim

I installed the tornado flusher in the side of the tank, it requires a hole in the side of the tank, the spray head spins and washes the inside of the tank. I hook a garden hose to the inlet plumbed into the side of my trailer and wait for the water to run clear ( I use a similar 30deg clear elbow) A little bit of dish soap down the toilet gets it real clean.

Some states have rules against gray water being allowed to run onto the ground, it must be contained and dumped the same as black water. depending on where you are you may get a ticket if you are caught.

I had no idea you could get ticketed for it!
I usually camp in the upper forest elevations and on thick grass so I'm usually ok w/out being caught ;)

I've let mine fly into the woods. What's the difference between that and dumping it in a septic system anyway.

One method is called proper disposal and the other is called HAZARDOUS WASTE. The septic system treats it before it leaves and does not pollute. I guess you can dump 50 gals of turds in your yard and see if you can tell the difference. I know I would be able too. I myself don't see what the big deal is about the grey water though.

Back