• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How to Check/Adjust TV Cable?

merlin5577

Diesel > Gasoline
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me (or have a write up) how to check and/or adjust the TV cable on my 85? I have heard through the grapevine that it could cause transmission slippage. ANY help or advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Is the trans a 700r4? I had one fo them in a gasser years ago in the 80's. Rebuilt the trans and didnt adjust that right and burnt the trans up in a week! :eek: I was so upset I never drove the truck again :rolleyes5:

Yes, it is a TH-700R4, and thats what i'm afraid of doing. If the cable is not adjusted properly, the clutch bands burn up quick.

You want the cable to be pretty much at full extension at WOT. Have somebody floor the go pedal (engine off of course) and see if you can pull the cable out any further. There is a 'tang' on the bracket end of the cable (at linkage) you can press that allows the ratchet to slide fore and aft.

As mentioned above, a loose TV cable, and bad things happen.

oh boy. I'm going to have to check mine. it seemed ok when i had the intake and IP out, but it can't hurt to check it again.

Back