• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How Strict is GM with Mods to the LMM?

12ga diesel

Jack of all, Master of none
Reaction score
I have my Predator programmer from my '06 LLY and I know it will work for my '08 LMM, but I also know that the new ECM's let the dealership know the last 10 tunes that were done to the engine. I just wanna put the 40hp or 65hp tune on it as I found out with my '06 the 85hp and 120hp tunes really put out a decent amount of black smoke. And until I decide what I want to do with my exhaust whether it be deleting the DPF which I'm not sure I wanna do, kinda like having a warrenty, or just getting a filter back deal and loosing the muffler. Any info would be great. Thanks guys.

I have my Predator programmer from my '06 LLY and I know it will work for my '08 LMM, but I also know that the new ECM's let the dealership know the last 10 tunes that were done to the engine. I just wanna put the 40hp or 65hp tune on it as I found out with my '06 the 85hp and 120hp tunes really put out a decent amount of black smoke. And until I decide what I want to do with my exhaust whether it be deleting the DPF which I'm not sure I wanna do, kinda like having a warrenty, or just getting a filter back deal and loosing the muffler. Any info would be great. Thanks guys.

can they really read the last 10 tunes? if so i wouldnt touch it till it was out of the warranty even though they would have to prove the tune was the cause of whatever failed. but its not a risk i would take with a beautiful new truck!

Yeah, I believe they can read that on the LMM's but not on any of the older models. That is what I have heard on here. It is one of the few things that I'm pissed off about this truck. Everything else, I don't have a single thing to really complain about. Love the truck, just like to add a couple things that I want.

they can read the ecm if you use a programer.....predator, hypertech, ppe....etc....but if you use a tuner like banks or edge....they can't....the tuner does not leave any footprints on the ecm....and to be honest if I am not mistaken they can not tell for sure that you did in fact have a programer...all they can see is when the last 10 times the computers memory was altered...

they can read the ecm if you use a programer.....predator, hypertech, ppe....etc....but if you use a tuner like banks or edge....they can't....the tuner does not leave any footprints on the ecm....and to be honest if I am not mistaken they can not tell for sure that you did in fact have a programer...all they can see is when the last 10 times the computers memory was altered...

Thats right. I do remember that it was the hand held programmers that were the ones that could be picked up. How do you like the Banks set up you have? I have looked into those. The Ottomind seems to be the one that gives you the best mileage but still let you get upwards of 100+ hp and about 125 ft/lbs tq.

I wouldn't waste your time with the ottomind...or so I was told by the banks sales rep.....and as per my other banks thread make sure you buy it directly from banks....other that my customer service gripe.....I love my banks...works great...I have had a few tuner faults and some issues with the tuner not responding and turing off in the rain....but they have been few and far between....

Yeah I read your post here in the GM Tuning area. And your post over at DP. I'll be keeping an eye on all that. That's real shitty to treat a customer like that. I see where you are coming from.

gm can read the other programming events, but not the program. it all depends on your dealer and there "eyes" either there gunna be wide open, or shut. dont do alot of smokey tunes unless you want you dpf running all the time.

if you have an instance were a gm rep is needed than you will pray you havent done anything to the ecm. they will find the tune history, even though they cant prove a performance flash, they will void your warranty. effectively throwing the ball in your court to either suck it up, or hire a lawyer. it is your choice.

your last option is to purchase a spare ecm to tune, and save you stock one for just that. dealer visits only:D

with the Diablo they are not able to tell you had it on there. they do the tuning a little different then the other programmer companies out there.

the ecm swap is easy but you might have some mis matched info like how many times the truck has regen'd.

with the Diablo they are not able to tell you had it on there. they do the tuning a little different then the other programmer companies out there.

the ecm swap is easy but you might have some mis matched info like how many times the truck has regen'd.

Interesting information on the Regen'd. How is it miss matched?

How is it in the regeneration process logged? Is there a set regeneration program in the ECM for so many hours or miles? Thus it wouldn't match?

it calculates miles, fuel usage, but mostly uses the pressure differential that it see's between the pre and post dpf pressure sensors. i dont think changing an ecm is a big deal.

It would seem to me that's why I asked that someone could not only swap ECM's but swap out the cluster in a matching set. :nono:

Personally this is what I would do.

In any case for most warranty work you wouldn't have to worry about anything . But if your trying to get over on something ,well then your on your own.

why the cluster? the ecm monitors mileage, speed, all that jaz before it goes to the cluster. i also dont think the cluster holds info for manual regen ect. it is all in the ecm and sent via comm lines to put the cel and clean you dpf light on. just like the system in the gmt 800 trucks like ours.

here is the gm description :Regeneration occurs when the ECM calculates that the particulate level in the filter has reached a calibrated threshold using a number of different factors, including engine run time, distance traveled, fuel used since the last regeneration, and the exhaust differential pressure.

the only thing that may inhibit it is if the ecm has a flash memory for mileage in it. the older ones do not save the mileage in anything but the ipc. i havent messed with one enough to know for sure.

Not sure it was a suggestion

If there is NO history stored in the ECM as far as regeneration ,hours and or miles then it wouldn't make a difference. I know for instance there is a run time

If regeneration occurs as you say it has to get it's data from somewhere. IF after regeneration history is cleared or as long as there isn't a count of regeneration times that cannot match the actual hours and miles on the IC then again it wouldn't matter.

right it all comes from the ecm. only warning messages involve the ecm. as far as i know. i havent seen anything to suggest other wise.

Not sure it was a suggestion

If there is NO history stored in the ECM as far as regeneration ,hours and or miles then it wouldn't make a difference. I know for instance there is a run time

If regeneration occurs as you say it has to get it's data from somewhere. IF after regeneration history is cleared or as long as there isn't a count of regeneration times that cannot match the actual hours and miles on the IC then again it wouldn't matter.

I believe at least the number of regens is stored. Based upon the vehicle mileage/hours, the tech will know at least roughly, how many regens should have occured.

The attached document should let you know that GM is looking and they can detect a power increasing device event if it's NOT a programmer! They have been able to do it from 2005 model year and on regardless of what you think they can do.

Attachments

• power-up.pdf
    67.9 KB · Views: 51
Back