• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How soon to change fluids from factory

12ga diesel

Jack of all, Master of none
Reaction score
I have 1300 miles on the truck since buying it last Wednesday and have heard about changing out the engine oil that comes from the factory at around 1500 miles. Is this a good thing to do or wait for the normal interval? How about the other fluids? Rear diff, front diff, transfer case, etc.

I'd do the first oil change and rear diff at 1200 - 1500 or so, the Allison spin-on filter at 5k, the transfer case at 25k, and the fuel filter at 10k.

The front diff might not need changing for a while, depending on how often you use 4x4.

Good move. Are you planning to use GM grape juice or M1 75w90 synthetic? I'd say the Mobil 1 is a better bang for the buck. Oh, it's alot easier if you take the spare out while changing the diff.

I'd do the first oil change and rear diff at 1200 - 1500 or so, the Allison spin-on filter at 5k, the transfer case at 25k, and the fuel filter at 10k.

The front diff might not need changing for a while, depending on how often you use 4x4.

Then I guess I will be changing the engine oil and rear diff this weekend.
It's fairly easy to change the front differential oil once you remove the front skid plate (only 4 bolts hold the skid plate), I would do it at the same time and use Mobil-1 GL5 75W90 synthetic oil for both front and rear. The GM synthetic "grape juice" cost me $28/quart the first time I changed the diff oil (OUTRAGEOUS).

I changed all fluids and filters in my truck at 4,300 miles and found tons of metal shavings in BOTH differentials. I never saw a need to take the spare tire out. the drain is at the bottom of the housing and the fill plug is in the back. I had NO clearance problem at all.

Also, my rear differential was 2 quarts LOW from the factory.

Differential oil capacity:
Front: 2 Quarts
Rear: Just shy of 4 Quarts

The front diff rotates whether in 4wd or not, it's the driveline that doesn't turn (no lockout hubs). The rear diff is the most important, factory fill is usually a little on the low side.

I plan on going Mobil 1 all around. Use 75w-90 in the front and rear. And go with Mobil 1 Delvac 1 syn in the engine. I do use the 4wd quite a bit for work. Off roading almost everyday out on the line. And when we get a day or two of rain like we have had here the last few days, it really gets used. Truck is getting washed about 2-3 a week. And about 100 lbs of mud off the truck every time too. But back to changing oil and fluids. I have always used Mobil oil on the last 3 trucks, but made the switch to Rotella T syn. Did it for price, but think I'm going to switch back to Mobil syn.

I never saw a need to take the spare tire out. the drain is at the bottom of the housing and the fill plug is in the back. I had NO clearance problem at all.

Makes it easy to sit cross legged under there while filling it.

There is not very much difference in prices any more.

I just switched to Mobil-1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40. Had been running Shell Rotella-T Synthetic 5W40, but Wal*Mart didn't have any Shell oil when I needed it so I got Mobil instead.

Our Wal*Mart prices now are:
Shell Rotella-T Syn 5W40: $22.50/gal
and Mobil-1 TDT 5W40: $26.00/gal

So only $10 more for an oil change with much better oil.

Rear diff has a 500 mile break-in. I ran mine 500 miles unloaded, then 500 towing the trailer. Then I changed the fluid. There was a ton of metal in it. Ran the truck 50k. Changed the fluid again. It was almost as clear as the new stuff I put in.

Have any of you guys heard or seen about Mobil 1 having problems shipping and not getting product out until Dec. 22? Went to Farm & Fleet tonight and they had a handfull of quarts of Mobil 1 and about 10 gallons of Delvac 1300 with a sign saying that Mobil 1 would not be shipped until the 22nd of December and that they would give out rainchecks. So I had to go with Rotella T Syn for this first oil change. They did have the Mobil 1 gear oil so I picked up that as well. Just curious as I was at the Super WalMart and they too didn't have nearly the selection of Mobil 1 products that they normally have, but didn't see any sign saying it wouldn't be shipping for a while.

I haven't heard anything about delivery problems from Mobil. Maybe it's a local issue.

About three weeks ago I bought the last 3 gallons of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 on the shelf at our local WalMart. This past Saturday they had around (8) 1-gallon jugs on the shelf, so at least this WalMart hasn't had much of a problem getting Mobil 1 delivered.

I sure wish that Mobil would sell the TDT 5W40 oil in quart bottles in addition to the 1-gallon jugs. They used to sell the old Truck & SUV 5W40 diesel oil in 5-quart jugs as well as 1-quart bottles. But ever since they reformulated their oil the diesel oil is only available in 1-gallon jugs. :(

Maybe it is a local thing then. I too wish you could get the TDT oil in quarts. I might make a few calls tomorrow and check to see if any of the auto parts stores have any Mobil 1 or if they will/are having problems getting it in stock. Though F&F is the only place I can find Delvac 1 Syn, gallon jugs or not. All the auto parts stores just carry the Delvac 1300 and both types of Rotella T. Maybe if I bug them enough, they will carry it. I'm putting on about 1000-1200 miles a week on the truck, so I'm getting oil on a pretty consistent basis.

I'm putting on about 1000-1200 miles a week on the truck, so I'm getting oil on a pretty consistent basis.

How often are you changing your oil?

I've been getting my used oil analyzed by Blackstone labs every other oil change. Per their recommendations, I've been gradually extending my oil change intervals. The last oil sample tested had 8,917 miles on it and the analysis came back excellent. All wear metals were below their universal average for this engine and the TBN was still at 9.3 with 8,917 miles and NO makeup oil added.

As recommended by Blackstone, My next oil sample will be at 10K. It will be interesting to see how this Mobil 1 TDT oil will perform compared the the Shell Rotella-T synthetic I was previously using.

The ability to extend my oil change intervals is helping me save money with no detrimental effect on my engine.

I am by no means an expert on this so take it for what its worth. My understanding was that hurricane Ike damaged the facility in Texas where Exxon/Mobil makes the base stock for their syn. Supposedly there was contamination and the facility had to be taken off line for repairs. This has created a shortage of M1 products.
Our local Wally world did not have any jugs of M1 for about 4 weeks, recently they have had a few on the shelf from time to time. Of course this all happened in the middle of me needing to change the oil in my 99 gasser. I ended up using Valvoline syn in it instead. Maybe I am crazy but the cold start knocking that the truck has had since almost new seems to be almost non existant ?

Scott

How often are you changing your oil?

On my past diesels, I have gone between 5000-5500 miles between oil changes. Right now I'm changing the oil every 5 weeks or so. Maybe after the first couple changes, I will do the Blackstone analisys.

I am by no means an expert on this so take it for what its worth. My understanding was that hurricane Ike damaged the facility in Texas where Exxon/Mobil makes the base stock for their syn. Supposedly there was contamination and the facility had to be taken off line for repairs. This has created a shortage of M1 products.
Our local Wally world did not have any jugs of M1 for about 4 weeks, recently they have had a few on the shelf from time to time. Of course this all happened in the middle of me needing to change the oil in my 99 gasser. I ended up using Valvoline syn in it instead. Maybe I am crazy but the cold start knocking that the truck has had since almost new seems to be almost non existant ?

Scott

Was just at Wal-Mart this past weekend and they too had a sign up stating that due to Hurrican Ike, Mobil 1's production of oil was serverely hurt and they will try to get the facility back on line ASAP and get product out as fast as they can. They had about a combined 15 quarts of Mobil 1 oil and 1 gallon jug 10w-30 and 2 gallon jugs of the Turbo Diesel Truck oil.

Rear diff has a 500 mile break-in. I ran mine 500 miles unloaded, then 500 towing the trailer. Then I changed the fluid. There was a ton of metal in it. Ran the truck 50k. Changed the fluid again. It was almost as clear as the new stuff I put in.
Same here. 500 miles unloaded, then 500 miles with the 5ver, then changed all fluids. Trans filter again at 5000 miles, then oil every 5K, trans every 30K, fuel filter every 10K. I also have a pre-OEM secondary fuel filter which helps.

JP

Same here. 500 miles unloaded, then 500 miles with the 5ver, then changed all fluids. Trans filter again at 5000 miles, then oil every 5K, trans every 30K, fuel filter every 10K. I also have a pre-OEM secondary fuel filter which helps.

JP

Can the tranny fluid go longer then 30k? I thought the transynd could go a little longer then that? Or am I wrong?

Back