• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How should I clean this mess up?

12ga diesel

Jack of all, Master of none
Reaction score
So after almost a year of off roading while out on the pipeline, and not seeing me going out that way anymore, I want to clean up the engine compartment so it looks half way decent when I open up the hood. I'm looking for any ideas or input on an good way to clean it up.

DSC05286.jpg

DSC05287.jpg

Take the hood off and run it through the car wash....):h

Seriously, maybe a power washer that has an adjustable head to turn down the pressure, or a good nozzle on the hose. Either way there is gonna be some elbow grease involved.

That car wash idea is startin' to sound purty good right now...ain't it?

I was at the car wash a couple weeks ago and I saw a guy with the hood up on his car doing that. I'm sure as long as I covered up the CAI, I would be alright. But my biggest worry is all the electonics. Will that ef' up any of the conacts. I know I went through all the water and mud and it hasn't messed with it, so I don't know.

Oh, I know I will have to use some elbow grease. It's just dried on mud and dirt, but I know Iwill take some to get it all off and make it look semi good. I'm not going to make it look as good as Rich's Cummins will look once it will be all put back together, but I would like it to look somewhat respectable.

Spray it down it degreaser, let it set a few minutes, then just spray down.

It's always worked for me. And of course, just be more cautious in the electrical areas and critical points and you should be fine.

yeah, I wouldn't use water under pressure on it. Even though most plugs are water tight the rubber seals break down over time and if you blast that stuff under pressure and water gets in somewhere it'll be a huge pain to find. Just spray some degreaser and let it sit then rinse it off. Probably wouldn't hurt to cover the obvious stuff with plastic bags first.

Before I left Germany I spent three to four weeks washing the inside, outside, underneath, and under the hood. It was cleaner than when I purchased it as a demo from the Chevrolet dealership.

For the under the hood, too ship had to have no visible grease or oil. I purchased a bottle of simple green and sprayed everything I could get the spray on. This was on a hot motor because I had to drive it to the car wash. I let is soak for a little while and then pressure washed all the simple green off the motor and everything else. I did this a couple of times till the bottle of simple green was all used up.

I never once had a problem with anything.

I do this to my 6.5 weekly when I first got back to the states. That away if it broke down I could work on it without getting all dirty.

X2 on the Simple Green. I throw a plastic bag over the alternator, spray everything down, and rinse with a hose. Works great.

In your case, you may have to do it 2 or 10 times for the same result...

Last edited:
I just use simple green and a hose or power washer. Modern motors are all sealed up. Don't directly blast any plugs and you'll be fine.

I prefer the Simple Green trick but only rinsed with the hose and about 60 psi.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I guess I'll be going out tomorrow morning and picking up a couple bottles of Simple Green. I'm sure these "newer" engines are sealed pretty well, but I'm not going to take a chance with the power washer, and just go with a good attachment on the regular garden hose.

Sorry, just saw this.......

All I ever do is wait for the engine to be cool, put a bag over the air filter, spray it with simple green, let it set for a little while, hose it off with LOW PRESSURE (i.e. garden hoes).

Once wrong angle with a pressure washer and you're cutting hoses or lines.

Back