• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

How old can diesel fuel be before it becomes unusable?

Use the old diesel for parts cleaner?

If it was mine i'd set up a filter system in a drum and recirculate it through the filter for a few hours then mix it 50/50 with new diesel.

I gather it was a 1979 model year only and replaced with a 350/5.7 when it failed. 90HP. The main bearings were as big or bigger than the 3.5" piston diameter. Powdered aluminum cylinder heads, like the V6, that looked like Styrofoam. Sadly the engine was dismantled and scrapped mainly as it was educational use only and no interest in putting it on display.

http://a350diesel.tripod.com/tech.html

LINCOLN CONTINENTAL with a diesel engine... One was on sale around here awhile ago.

WarWagon,

Surely wish I could find one in restorable shape. = That's a TRULY rare Continental, for sure. - Very few were sold (too expensive for what they were.) & there's a darn sight fewer of them left now.
(I "chased a rumor of one in a barn" all over NW OK a couple of years ago, W/O result.= WASTE of time.)

yours, satx

Keep an eye on the Tucson and Phx Craigslist as a blue one has shown up twice. Maybe thinking of the newer one than the year you are after?

WarWagon,

There was evidently at total of about 500 of the diesel Continentals made in 1984 and another 300 built in 1985 & less than HALF of the 800 were "designer" models badged as Versace & Bill Blass.

yours, satx

My self, I just dump stuff like that in the 500 gallon tank when I fill it.
I have a filter bank on it with a water trap and ends with a 2 micron filter. I put the bug killer in the tank when I fill it and some diesel Kleen.

You could do the same on a smaller scale.

jrsavoie,

The "delivery guy" brought the PU to me on a trailer this PM (and in the middle of a major rainstorm, btw) & YEP both tanks are nearly full of ANTIQUE diesel.
(The lady that I bought it from never drove it again after filling it up, for some reason or other, so there is about 40 gallons of it to dispose of.)

yours, satx

JayTheCPA; All,

Fwiw, I've "put out the word" to some friends who have tractors in the outlying rural area & that I have (probably 40 gallons of ) OLD diesel for FREE. - So far, not even a "nibble" from anyone.

As soon as I actually have the PU at my place (a shipper is bringing it to me in the next week or two & at a GOOD/discounted price, so that he doesn't have to come home with an empty trailer, after dropping his load.), Steve (my sometime/part-time mechanic) & I will be dropping/emptying/cleaning the fuel tanks (the PU has 2), replacing the old fuel lines, changing the fuel filters, replacing the 2 old batteries & then trying to start the old 6.9L diesel.
(I seriously doubt that that tough/old/all-mechanical 6.9 is "hurt" with only <60K total miles.)

To All,

THANKS for your advice.

yours, satx
I'll take that old diesel, if you ship it to Illinois. LOL

Works good to start fires. If it doesn't work good for that, you definitely do not want to burn it in any machine.

There are a lot of people around here that would take it to run in the waste oil heaters

To All,

Just before dark 10MAR16, when a local auto-parts store closed at 1800, I was told that they WILL accept my "antique diesel" for recycling. - They evidently have a "disposal permit" for hazardous materials & have the ability to properly dispose of it.
(I guess that "the bottom line" is it pays to ask a lot of people, IF you want a good answer. = I must have asked about 2 dozen places before finding this one.)

yours, satx

Last edited:
Awsome! Someone knows it's just 'used engine oil' aka waste oil.

WarWagon,

Evidently SO. - IF I had not found these NICE people, who have a waste disposal license/permit, I would have had to find a safe place to store 40 gallons of flammable liquid.

Great news on the disposal! :D

Around here, the dump (now known as a recycling center) will take it, for *free*. All it requires is hauling it in with a personally registered vehicle and local drivers license (non county residents or driving in with a business registered vehicle will have to pay). Actually, the municipality makes money off of the recycling program so our tax dollars go a lot farther. And the dumps are clean and organized. So much so that the wife does not mind going on a dump run. (Well, actually I think it might have more to do with her making sure that I actually get rid of the stuff . . .).

You still have to haul your own trash or do you get a garbage truck coming by to empty your cans? Place we lived in decades ago in MD we had to cart our trash to these stations.

Nothing like leaving the windows down a little on the station wagon (pre SUV era) and the racoon fits in, makes a mess, gets fatter, then gets stuck in the window on the way out.

Last edited:
Pretty much everything is curbside pick-up including yard waste (leaves, grass, etc . . .) where I live. Even large items as long as we call to coordinate in advance.

Only thing not for curb-side pickup is hazardous waste.

Main reason I do dump runs is that sometimes it is just easier to do a run than load the stuff in the truck's bed, unload it at the end of the driveway, and then deal with any mess that might get left. Unloading at the dump means I can just push it out of the bed and an earth-mover takes it from there . . .

Some people do dump runs to sift through the yard waste and go home with firewood.

Back